Douglas John Gurr
July 1964 (age 58)
|Education||University of Cambridge (BA)|
University of Edinburgh (PhD)
|Title||Director, Natural History Museum, London|
|Thesis||Semantic frameworks for complexity (1990)|
|Doctoral advisor||Gordon Plotkin|
Douglas John Gurr (born July 1964) is a British businessman, and the Director of the Natural History Museum, London. He was a global vice-president and head of Amazon UK from 2016 to 2020. He is chairman of the British Heart Foundation. He formerly taught at Aarhus University and held positions in the United Kingdom civil service, at McKinsey & Co, and at Asda.
Early life and education
Gurr was born in Leeds, England, in July 1964, to parents from New Zealand, and his father was head of the English department at the University of Nairobi. He was educated at the University of Cambridge where he studied the Mathematical Tripos and the University of Edinburgh where he was awarded a PhD in 1990 for research on semantic frameworks using monads supervised by Gordon Plotkin.
He was then a main board director of Asda. He joined Amazon in 2011, and was China country manager from 2014 to 2016, before becoming UK country manager in 2016, succeeding Chris North who left to become CEO of Shutterfly.
Gurr has been the chairman of the British Heart Foundation since 2015, and a non-executive director of the UK government's Department for Work and Pensions. He is also a trustee of the Landmark Trust.
- Gurr, Douglas John (1990). Semantic frameworks for complexity (PhD thesis). University of Edinburgh. hdl:1842/13968. OCLC 475827463. EThOS uk.bl.ethos.651894.
- "From the Arctic to the Amazon: a Leeds polyglot expanding Bezos' reach". 17 November 2017. Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- "Doug Gurr". www.gov.uk. Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- "Dr Doug Gurr – Speakers for Schools". www.speakers4schools.org. Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- "Dr. Doug Gurr". www.landmarktrust.org.uk. Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- Butler, Sarah (27 April 2016). "Former Asda director takes helm of Amazon's UK operations". The Guardian. Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- "Board of Trustees British Heart Foundation". Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- "Dr. Doug Gurr". www.landmarktrust.org.uk. Retrieved 3 July 2019.
- circular reference] [
- "No-deal Brexit could spark civil unrest 'within two weeks' warns UK head of Amazon". Independent.co.uk. 23 July 2018. Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- "Amazon reportedly issued a dark warning about Brexit in a private meeting with the UK government". Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- "Doug Gurr appointed new Director". Natural History Museum, London. 18 June 2020. Retrieved 19 November 2020.
- "Doug Gurr". Gov.uk. Retrieved 31 October 2021.
- "At least 16 Tory allies given paid 'independent' roles in government". openDemocracy. Retrieved 31 October 2021.
- "Dr Douglas Gurr appointed Chair of The Alan Turing Institute". The Alan Turing Institute. Retrieved 14 July 2022.
- "Londoner's Diary: Bog standard delivery haunts Amazon's chief". London Evening Standard. 26 July 2017. Retrieved 23 July 2018.
- Gurr, Doug; Roberts, Barry (2012). Staying alive off piste. ISBN 978-1468150490. OCLC 875175467.