Doug Lewis (skier)
|— Alpine skier —|
Giant slalom, Combined
January 18, 1964|
Middlebury, Vermont, U.S.
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|World Cup debut||March 11, 1984 (age 20)|
|Retired||March 1988 (age 24)|
|Teams||2 - (1984, 1988)|
|Teams||2 - (1985, 1987)|
|Medals||1 (0 gold)|
|Seasons||5 - (1984–1988)|
|Podiums||1 - (1 DH)|
|Overall titles||0 - (39th in 1985)|
|Discipline titles||0 - (15th in DH, 1985)|
After competing in the 1984 Olympics at age 20, Lewis made his World Cup debut a month later in March 1984 with an 8th-place finish at Whistler, BC. The following season, Lewis had two World Cup top ten finishes and was the bronze medalist in the downhill at the 1985 World Championships at Bormio, Italy. He was unknown at that time, and having a bib number behind the best 15 racers he did gatecrash a party of three Swiss racers on the podium (and pushing away Franz Heinzer). His only World Cup podium came six months later, a second-place finish in Las Leñas, Argentina, in August 1985.
Lewis is currently an analyst for alpine ski racing with Universal Sports, and also runs a children's sports camp with locations in Waitsfield, Vermont, and Park City, Utah. He is a 1991 graduate of the University of Vermont.
World Cup results
- Points were only awarded for top fifteen finishes (see scoring system).
Top ten finishes
|1984||11 Mar 1984||Whistler, BC, Canada||Downhill||8th|
|1985||15 Dec 1984||Val Gardena, Italy||Downhill||9th|
|11 Jan 1985||Kitzbühel, Austria||Downhill||10th|
|1985 World Championships|
|1986||16 Aug 1985||Las Leñas, Argentina||Downhill||2nd|
|17 Jan 1986||Kitzbühel, Austria||Downhill||5th|
|8 Mar 1986||Aspen, CO, USA||Downhill||8th|
|1987||28 Feb 1987||Furano, Japan||Downhill||7th|
|7 Mar 1987||Aspen, CO, USA||Downhill||9th|
World championship results
Olympic results 
|1984||20||—||—||not run||24||not run|
- "Douglas Lewis". Sports Reference LLC. Archived from the original on 2009-10-11. Retrieved 2010-02-08.
- "Swiss dominate world skiing". Lewiston Daily Sun. (Maine). Associated Press. February 4, 1985. p. 18.
- "World Ski Championships: Downhill". Eugene Register-Guard. (Oregon). February 4, 1985. p. 4B.
- "Eliteam". Retrieved 2015-04-29.
- "Olympians". University of Vermont.
- Doug Lewis at the International Ski Federation
- FIS-Ski.com - World Cup season standings - Doug Lewis
- Ski-db.com - results - Doug Lewis
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill. "Doug Lewis". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Archived from the original on 2011-09-18.
- eliteam.com - profile - Doug Lewis
- Stowe Today.com - photo of Doug Lewis - medal ceremony - 1985 World Championships