Doug Smith (baseball coach)
|Alma mater||UC Riverside '75|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|1976–1980||Cal Poly Pomona (asst.)|
|1983–2004||UC Riverside (asst.)|
|Head coaching record|
Doug Smith is an American former college baseball coach who retired after the 2014 season. He had been coaching the UC Riverside Highlanders baseball team. He held that position since the 2005 season. Smith was the second coach to lead the Highlanders since their transition to Division I in 2001 and fourth since the establishment of the program in 1958.
Smith was a standout catcher at UC Riverside, and was named to the all-conference first team in his senior season of 1975.
Following his playing career, Smith completed a master's degree at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona and served as a part time assistant coach with the Broncos baseball team for four years. He then pursued a private business venture for three years before returning to his alma mater as an assistant coach in 1983. He rose to the head coaching position in 2005. In his time on the staff at UC Riverside, Smith has coached 34 All-Americans and over 150 players that signed professional contracts. As head coach, the Highlanders won their first Big West Conference title and made their first NCAA Tournament appearances at the Division I level. Smith was an assistant for eight Highlander appearances in the Division II NCAA Tournament. After struggling through a difficult 2012 season, the Highlanders signed a class of eight players who will begin play in 2014, including six pitchers.
Head coaching record
|Doug Smith (Big West) (2005–present)|
|2007||UC Riverside||38-21||16-5||1st||NCAA Regional|
National champion Postseason invitational champion
- "2012 Baseball Coaching Staff". gohighlanders. Retrieved December 25, 2012.
- Jim Alexander (May 26, 2012). "Column:UCR baseball coach should be safe". The Press-Enterprise. Retrieved December 25, 2012.
- Allan Steele (November 28, 2012). "Baseball:UCR signs eight recruits to early class". The Press-Enterprise. Retrieved December 25, 2012.
- "2010 UC Riverside Highlanders Baseball Media Guide" (PDF). UC Riverside Sports Information. Archived from the original (PDF) on 18 December 2012. Retrieved 18 December 2012.
- "2013 Big West Conference Baseball Standings". D1Baseball.com. Jeremy Mills. Archived from the original on May 28, 2013. Retrieved May 28, 2013.