Dixon studied geology and palaeontology at the University of St. Andrews and is best known for his illustrated works of speculative fiction, which largely concern "zoologies of the future": his own visions of how human beings and animals might evolve in millions of years' time. He is the younger brother of Douglas Dixon.
- After Man: A Zoology of the Future (1981)
- Visions of Man Evolved (1982)
- The New Dinosaurs: An Alternative Evolution (1988)
- The Children's Giant Book of Dinosaurs (approx. 1990)
- Man After Man: An Anthropology of the Future (1990)
- The Future Is Wild (2003) - with John Adams
- la enciclopedia ilustrada de los dinosaurios y otros animales prehistoricos (2005)
- If Dinosaurs Were Alive Today
- World Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs & Prehistoric Creatures (2008)
- Ice Age Explorer (Time Machine, No. 7) (1985)
- Natural History of an Alien (aka Anatomy of an Alien) - Discovery Channel/BBC (1998)
- web page・Biography
- Naish, Darren. "Of After Man, The New Dinosaurs and Greenworld: an interview with Dougal Dixon". Retrieved 2015-06-16.