Douglas Robert Casey (born May 5, 1946, in Chicago, Illinois) is an American writer, speculator, and the founder and chairman of Casey Research. He describes himself as an anarcho-capitalist influenced by the works of novelist Ayn Rand.
Early life and education
He is the son of Eugene B. Casey, a multimillionaire real estate developer.
Casey's 1979 book Crisis Investing was number one on The New York Times Non-Fiction Best Seller list in 1980 for 29 consecutive weeks. It was the best-selling financial book of 1980 with 438,640 copies sold.
Views and Approach
Casey describes himself as a contrarian. He applies this view to investment, economic interpretations, and government. He has said, "You've got to be a speculator today. It's no longer possible to work hard and save your money and get ahead in life."
- Strategic Investing (1982). Paperback: ISBN 0-671-43886-7
- The International Man (1976). Hardcover: ISBN 978-0-932496-09-6
- Crisis Investing : Opportunities and profits in the coming great depression. (1979). Hardcover: ISBN 0-936906-00-6. Paperback: ISBN 0-671-42678-8.
- Crisis Investing for the Rest of the 90s (1993). Paperback: ISBN 0-8065-1612-7.
- Totally Incorrect: Conversations with Doug Casey (2012). Paperback: ISBN 0-9882851-3-4.
- Right on the Money (2013). Paperback: ISBN 978-1-118-85622-2. John Wiley & Sons
- Speculator (with John Hunt) (2016). Paperback: ISBN 978-0985933258. HighGround Books
- Drug Lord (with John Hunt) (2017). Paperback: ISBN 978-1947449077. HighGround Books
- "Publicado en el Boletín Oficial de Salta Nº 19807 el día 23/06/2016". Boletín Oficial – Provincia de Salta. Archived from the original on May 26, 2019. Retrieved May 26, 2019.
- Waggoner, John (February 19, 2009). "Investors are grabbing for dangled karats". USA Today. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "Projects Draw Attention to Argentine Countryside". New York Times. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- Sykora, Allen (May 11, 2011). "Doug Casey: Government Policies Distort Markets; 'Printing More Money' To Mean Inflation". Forbes.com. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "Bloomberg - Are you a robot?". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved April 9, 2019.
- July 13, 2013 C-SPAN2 Book TV interview with Doug Casey at Freedomfest 2013, held at Las Vegas.
- Sien, 2015. 22:00 min. in
- "Doomsayer Casey: 'I Believe in Buying When There's Blood in the Streets'". The Washington Post. 1980.
- Strauss, Valerie (June 10, 2010). "What Americans used to read". The Washington Post. Retrieved March 23, 2015.
- "Doug Casey". Voice America. Retrieved March 28, 2015.
- Knight, Jerry, 1980, "Doomsayer Casey: 'I Believe in Buying When There's Blood in the Streets'", Washington Post, August 25, 1980.
- "Doug Casey on the Inconvenient Truths of US Foreign Policy". Casey Research. November 14, 2012. Retrieved August 2, 2019.
- "Doug Casey on What Happens After the Next War". Investment Watch. June 7, 2019. Retrieved August 2, 2019.
- "Doug Casey' Books". High Ground Series - A collection of books by Doug Casey.
- "Right on the Money: Doug Casey on Economics, Investing, and the Ways of the Real World with Louis James", Wiley.com.