Douglas Education Center
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Motto||It's Your Future... OWN IT.|
|President||Jeffery D. Imbrescia|
|Location||Monessen, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Colors||Red and Black|
Douglas Education Center, located at 130 Seventh Street, Monessen, Pennsylvania, was established in 1904 as a business and secretarial school. The founder of the then Douglas Business College was Warren Douglas. The school changed owners four times and moved locations three times between 1904 and 1989 when the present owner, Jeffrey D. Imbrescia, purchased it.
Between 1989 and 1999 DEC offered degree programs in specialized business, business administration and executive secretary. Graduates from these programs were primarily hired by businesses in and around the Monongahela Valley.
In 1999, DEC made the bold decision to add art programs into the curricula and launched a degree program in Graphic Design & Web. The Millennium (2000) saw continued expansion with the introduction of Tom Savini's Special Make-Up Effects Program and in 2002 Allan and Wilson's Illustration & Airbrush Art Program (currently named Allan and Wilson's Digital Illustration Program). The Cosmetology Academy at Douglas Education Center was opened in 2003, and in 2008 Tom Savini's Digital Film Production Program (currently named The Factory Digital Filmmaking Program at Douglas) and Dorian's Fantasy Art Program were added.
The philosophy of Douglas Education Center was developed through years of educational experience and knowledge.
The core of this philosophy is the belief that students of diverse ages and backgrounds can work together effectively in the classroom, thereby growing in skill, knowledge and maturity beyond the normal expectations, to achieve any goal they may desire.
The educational programs at DEC are oriented towards meeting the needs of its students by developing professionalism, leadership, and technical, interpersonal and communication skills.
DEC offers an understanding, friendly and considerate environment where students feel welcome and cared for by the administration and faculty. At DEC, students are thought of as individual personalities and are, therefore, treated as individuals. The school is concerned with the human element and strives to develop the potential of each student. This is done by determining the strengths and weaknesses of each student and the type and the amount of assistance he or she needs.
Douglas Education Center grants admissions to individuals who have successfully earned a high school diploma or a GED high school equivalency. Douglas Education Center accepts applications year round.
Douglas Education Center offers specialized business degrees, diplomas and certificates in various fields. Below is a breakdown of the programs offered.
- Tom Savini's Special Make-Up Effects Program Formed in 2000, Tom Savini's Special Make-Up Effects Program is a sixteen-month Associate in Specialized Business Degree Program. World-renowned special effects artist, Tom Savini, developed this signature program that has graduated students from 48 states and has achieved international attention. Tom Savini has been in the industry for over 30 years. He is responsible for revolutionizing many special make-up effects techniques that are still utilized today. Tom Savini tutored under Dick Smith who is considered to be the "Godfather" of the special make-up effects industry. Tom Savini's Special Make-Up Effects Program began with 24 students. With each subsequent class, the program has gained great notoriety and accolades. Douglas Education Center makes every attempt to stay current with industry trends. Industry superstars Greg Nicotero and Howard Berger of KNB EFX Group have visited Douglas Education Center to provide industry insight, critique 4th semester student portfolios and perform seminars on recent make-up trends and techniques.
- George A. Romero's Filmmaking Program Founded in 2008 (under the name The Factory Digital Filmmaking Program at Douglas), George A. Romero's Filmmaking Program is a sixteen-month Associate in Specialized Business Degree Program. The program is a hands-on, modern approach to learning the art of filmmaking. Facilities include a soundstage with green screen, infinity wall, rooms for make-up, wardrobe and props, editing suites, a sound mixing studio, and a 50+ seat theater for film classes and collaborating among other programs at DEC. Students learn techniques from industry professionals including Robert Tinnell, a motion picture screenwriter, director, and producer as well as the director of the program.
- Graphic Design & Web Program Founded in 1999, the Graphic Design & Web Program is a sixteen-month Associate in Specialized Business Degree Program.
- Medical Assistant Program
- Medical Billing and Coding Program
- Cosmetology Program
- Cosmetology Teacher Program
- Esthetician Program
- Esthetics and Nail Technology Program
- Heavy Equipment and CDL with Safety and Natural Gas Program
- Heavy Equipment and CDL with Safety Program
- Commercial Driver’s License Program
Accreditation is evidence that an institution maintains an approved course of study, that it employs a competent faculty of instructors, that it has adequate facilities and equipment, that it is supported by an enrollment of students sufficient to give assurance of stability and permanency, and that it enjoys a reputation of ethical and honorable dealings with the public.
Douglas Education Center is accredited by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) and is approved to award Associate in Specialized Business Degrees and Diplomas.
The Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools is listed as a nationally recognized accrediting agency by the United States Department of Education. Its accreditation of degree-granting institutions is recognized by the Council for Higher Education Association.
Location and Contact Information
130 Seventh Street Monessen, PA 15062 1-800-413-6013 www.dec.edu