|Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung|
Number of locations
|1,700 stores (2015) |
|Services||Perfume and cosmetics retail stores|
|Revenue||€2.607 billion (2014/2015)|
|€106.8 million (2014/2015)|
|Profit||-€75.5 million (2014/2015)|
|Total assets||€3.776 billion (September 2014)|
Number of employees
|18,528 (September 2015)|
Douglas GmbH is a German perfume and cosmetics retailer based in Hagen. Douglas has more than 1,700 stores and franchised outlets across Europe including France, where Douglas operates under its Nocibé brand.
The roots of the company date back to 1821, when the perfume and soap factory J.S. Douglas Söhne was founded in Hamburg. In 1863, the first Christ subsidiary was founded. In 1910, the first Douglas perfumery was opened in Hamburg. The actual predecessor of the Douglas Holding AG, the Hussel Süßwarenfilialbetrieb GmbH, was founded in 1949 and transformed into a joint stock company in 1962. In 1969 it acquired the Parfümerie Douglas, which soon became the main pillar of the corporation, which became known as Hussel Holding AG in 1976. In 1989, the company changed its name to Douglas Holding AG.
In December 2012, Advent International led a public-to-private buyout of Douglas in a deal worth 1.5 billion euros. The Kreke family that founded Douglas retained a twenty percent stake in the company.
Advent International refocused Douglas on its primary perfume and cosmetics lines, spinning off the company's other brands: Confectioner Hussel was sold to Emeram Capital Partners in March 2014. Jewelry retailer Christ was sold to 3i Group in October 2014. Womanswear retailer AppelrathCüpper was sold to OpCapita in May 2016. Book retailer Thalia was sold to the Herder family, a German family of publishers, in July 2016.
- "Annual Report 2014/2015" (PDF). Douglas Holding. Retrieved 5 October 2016.
- Frankfurt, Eyk Henning in; London, Shayndi Raice in (2015-06-01). "CVC Capital Buys Cosmetics Retailer Douglas". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- Cruz, Julie; Kirchfeld, Aaron (2012-10-15). "Advent Offers $1.9 Billion to Buy Beauty Retailer Douglas". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "CORRECTED-Douglas sells Hussel sweet shop chain". Reuters. 2017-03-11. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "UPDATE 1-Buyout group Advent sells Christ jewellery stores to 3i". Reuters. 2016-10-27. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- "OpCapita buys leading designer womenswear retailer AppelrathCüpper | Advent International". www.adventinternational.com. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- Editorial, Reuters. "Advent sells book retailer Thalia to German publishers family". Retrieved 2016-10-05.
|This retail business article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This German corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|