Douglas R. Lowy
Douglas R. Lowy
Douglas R. Lowy, MD, Acting Director, National Cancer Institute
|Awards||Lasker-DeBakey Clinical Medical Research Award (2017) Sabin Gold Medal (2011)|
Douglas R. Lowy (born c. 1940s) is the Acting Director of the U.S. National Cancer Institute (NCI) and Chief of the Laboratory of Cellular Oncology within the Center for Cancer Research at NCI. Lowy previously served as Acting Director of NCI between April 2015-October 2017. On April 8, 2019, he again became Acting Director as Director Norman Sharpless transitioned to serve as the Acting Commissioner of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Lowy served as Deputy Director of the NCI since 2015, alongside former directors Harold E. Varmus and Sharpless. Lowy was co-recipient (along with Dr. John T. Schiller) of the National Medal of Technology and Innovation in 2014 and the Lasker-DeBakey Clinical Medical Research Award in 2017.
Lowy received his medical degree from the New York University School of Medicine, and trained in internal medicine at Stanford University and dermatology at Yale. He has directed a research laboratory at NCI since 1975, after receiving training as a Research Associate in the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Lowy is a member of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) and of its Institute of Medicine. For his joint research with John T. Schiller on technology that enabled the development of preventive human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccines, he and Schiller received the 2007 Samuel J. Heyman Service to America Medal, the 2011 Albert B. Sabin Gold Medal, the 2012 National Medal of Technology and Innovation (awarded in 2014), and the Lasker-DeBakey Clinical Medical Research Award in 2017. He has also received the National Medal of Honor for Basic Research from the American Cancer Society.
- Nathan Davis Award, American Medical Association (2007)
- Service to America Medal, Partnership for Public Service (2007)
- Humanitarian Award, American Skin Association (2007)
- Dorothy P. Landon-AACR Prize for Translational Cancer Research (2007)
- Novartis Prize for Clinical Immunology, Rio de Janeiro (2007)
- Research and Hope Award for Academic or Public Research, National Cancer Institute (2013)
- Harrington Prize for Innovation in Medicine (2015)
- Lasker-DeBakey Clinical Medical Research Award (2017)
- Szent-Györgyi Prize for Progress in Cancer Research (2018)
- Affairs, HHS Public (2019-03-12). "Current NCI Deputy Director @NCIDrDoug will serve as Acting Director of @theNCI". @SpoxHHS. Retrieved 2019-03-17.
- "Douglas Lowy named Acting Director of the National Cancer Institute". Website of the National Cancer Institute. Retrieved 1 April 2015. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- Tavernise, Sabrina (March 4, 2015). "Chief of National Cancer Institute Resigns". The New York Times. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- Kaplan, Sheila (2019-03-12). "National Cancer Chief, Ned Sharpless, Named F.D.A.'s Acting Commissioner". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2019-03-17.
- "President Obama Presents the National Medals of Science & National Medals of Technology and Innovation". Whitehouse.gov. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- Foundation, Lasker. "HPV vaccines for cancer prevention | The Lasker Foundation". The Lasker Foundation. Retrieved 2018-06-19.
- "2007 Federal Employees of the Year". Service to America Medals. Archived from the original on January 8, 2015. Retrieved 2015-04-02.
- "Sabin Gold Medal Award". Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- "American Cancer Society to Present Highest Honor for Outstanding Contributions to Cancer Fight". American Cancer Society. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- Androphy, EJ; Hubbert, NL; Schiller, JT; Lowy, DR (April 1987). "Identification of the HPV-16 E6 protein from transformed mouse cells and human cervical carcinoma cell lines". The EMBO Journal. 6 (4): 989–92. PMC 553493. PMID 3036495.
- Hawley-Nelson, P; Vousden, KH; Hubbert, NL; Lowy, DR; Schiller, JT (1 December 1989). "HPV16 E6 and E7 proteins cooperate to immortalize human foreskin keratinocytes". The EMBO Journal. 8 (12): 3905–10. PMC 402081. PMID 2555178.
- "Douglas R. Lowy, MD". American Association for Cancer research. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- Barr, Stephen (September 10, 2007). "Work on Cervical Cancer Vaccine Puts NIH Duo in the Running for Major Award". The Washington Post. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- "Laureates". Novartis Prizes for Immunology. 3 October 2011. Retrieved 29 August 2018.
- "Douglas R. Lowy, MD, Receives Harrington Prize for Innovation in Medicine". ASCO Post. March 10, 2015. Retrieved 16 July 2015.
- Lowy, Douglas R. (4 January 2016). "HPV vaccination to prevent cervical cancer and other HPV-associated disease: from basic science to effective interventions". Journal of Clinical Investigation. 126 (1): 5–11. doi:10.1172/JCI85446. PMC 4701560. PMID 26727228.
- "Szent-Györgyi Prize to honor NCI's Douglas R. Lowy and John T. Schiller". National Cancer Institute]]. Retrieved 4 October 2019.