|Born||June 27, 1953|
|Education||Harvard College, BA (magna cum laude), 1974|
Harvard Law School, J.D.
Oxford University, PhD
Schoen attended Horace Mann School in New York City. While still a high school student, he canvassed the Upper West Side for Dick Morris. He graduated from Harvard College (magna cum laude) and Harvard Law School. Schoen went to high school with Mark Penn and then worked together with him on The Harvard Crimson.
In 1977, he founded the political consulting firm Penn, Schoen & Berland with political strategists Mark Penn. Michael Berland joined the firm in 1987. Schoen worked for the political campaigns of politicians including Jay Rockefeller, Richard Shelby and Evan Bayh. Following the 1994 United States elections, President Bill Clinton hired Dick Morris, who brought on Schoen and Penn. Schoen worked on the 1996 campaign as well in survey analysis. Schoen also began doing corporate work beginning in the 1980s.
In 2000, Ukrainian steel oligarch Victor Pinchuk hired Schoen on a $40,000 per month retainer. In 2004, Schoen introduced Pinchuk to Hillary Clinton. He also did work for the Hillary Clinton presidential campaign, 2008 and later became associated with the People United Means Action movement of disaffected Clinton supporters who refused to support Barack Obama. Schoen was a consultant for Jeff Greene in the 2010 Florida Senate election.
Pinchuk donated $13.1 million to the Clinton Foundation in the years after Schoen's introduction. In 2011, Schoen registered as a foreign agent lobbying on behalf of Pinchuk. Between September 2011 and November 2012, Schoen arranged nearly a dozen meetings between Pinchuk and senior State Department officials, including Melanne Verveer. In September 2015, Pinchuk donated $150,000 to the Donald J. Trump Foundation in exchange for a 20-minute video appearance by Donald Trump shown at a policy conference that year in Kiev. Michael Cohen solicited Schoen for the donation from Pinchuk, which was the largest outside donation the Trump Foundation received that year. In March 2017, former Trump aide Monica Crowley registered as a foreign agent working for Pinchuk under Schoen's direction.
Schoen has identified as a member of the Democratic party, but has frequently criticized the party and taken positions on various political topics at odds with the party's views. Schoen's critics have called his identification as a Democrat "phony" and calculated to help his Fox news career. Steve Benen called Schoen the quintessential "Fox News Democrat" and said he is "actively hostile towards [Democrats] and the party’s agenda."
Schoen says that lower taxes would be a successful Democratic strategy, opposed President Barack Obama's Affordable Care Act, and said that President Obama should not run for reelection in 2012.
Schoen has been critical of the Occupy Wall Street protest movement. In a Wall Street Journal op-ed, he wrote, "President Obama and the Democratic leadership are making a critical error in embracing the Occupy Wall Street movement—and it may cost them the 2012 election." He believes that the protesters represent "an unrepresentative segment of the electorate that believes in radical redistribution of wealth, civil disobedience and, in some instances, violence," and that their common bond is "a deep commitment to left-wing policies." Schoen believes that the Democratic Party should not appeal to voters who support taxing oil companies and the rich, but rather to voters in the middle who want lower taxes. On October 30, 2016, Schoen pulled his support of Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton, citing his concern of a "constitutional crisis" due to Secretary Clinton's email scandal if elected.
- Declaring independence: the beginning of the end of the two-party system, New York: Random House, 2008, ISBN 9781400067336, OCLC 173683636
- The threat closer to home: Hugo Chávez and the war against America, New York: Free Press, 2009, ISBN 9781416594772, OCLC 213839994
- Hopelessly divided : the new crisis in American politics and what it means for 2012 and beyond, Lanham, Md.: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2012, ISBN 9781442215238, OCLC 759173285
- The Nixon effect: how Richard Nixon's presidency fundamentally changed American politics, New York; London: Encounter Books, 2016, ISBN 9781594037993, OCLC 891619019
- America in the age of Trump: opportunities and oppositions in an unsettled world, New York: Encounter Books, 2017, ISBN 9781594039478, OCLC 969830291
- Weisberg, Jacob (August 7, 1995). "Who is Dick Morris?". New York Magazine. pp. 34 et seq. Retrieved November 3, 2010.
Penn and Schoen are... city bred prodigies. The two attended Horace Mann together and became a political team at Harvard, where they worked on the Crimson.... As pollsters, the Laurel and Hardy-ish pair are known for a hard quantitative bent.... But if Penn and Schoen are moderates....
- Stengel, Richard; Pooley, Eric (1996-11-18). "MASTERS OF THE MESSAGE". Time. ISSN 0040-781X. Retrieved 2016-11-01.
- LLC, New York Media (1995-08-07). New York Magazine. New York Media, LLC.
- "About Doug". Retrieved November 3, 2010.
- "About | Represent.Us". End corruption. Defend the Republic. Retrieved 2016-11-02.
- Johnson, Dennis W. (2016-11-07). Democracy for Hire: A History of American Political Consulting. Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780190272692.
- Chozick, Amy (13 February 2014). "Trade Dispute Centers on Ukrainian Executive With Ties to Clintons". The New York Times. p. A19. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- Steve Benen Clinton pollster urges senator to go relentlessly negative Archived June 25, 2008, at the Wayback Machine April 16, 2008 Salon.com
- Glenn Greenwald Douglas Schoen and Hillary's slimy pollsters September 27, 2008 Salon.com
- Dems worry about a subprime billionaire (Jeff Greene) in Florida April 28, 2010
- "Fox News 'Democratic Pollster' Fundraising For GOP". The Huffington Post. 2010-10-07. Retrieved 2016-11-01.
- Schmidt, Michael S.; Haberman, Maggie (10 April 2018). "Mueller Investigating Ukrainian's $150,000 Payment for a Trump Appearance". The New York Times. p. A1. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- Gramer, Robbie (14 March 2017). "One-Time Trump National Security Pick Registers As Foreign Agent for Ukrainian Oligarch". Foreign Policy. Retrieved 11 April 2018.
- Thrush, Glenn. "Doug Schoen: "Democrat"?". POLITICO. Retrieved 2016-11-01.
- Benen, Steve (2011-10-18). "Doug Schoen isn't helping his reputation". Washington Monthly. Retrieved 2016-11-01.
- Schoen warns W.H.: Don't back 'Occupy' By MJ Lee, Politico, October 18, 2011
- Opinion | One and done: To be a great president, Obama should not seek reelection in 2012 By Douglas E. Schoen and Patrick H. Caddell, November 14, 2010
- Polling the Occupy Wall Street Crowd: In interviews, protesters show that they are leftists out of step with most American voters. Yet Democrats are embracing them anyway. By DOUGLAS SCHOEN, Wall Street Journal, October 18, 2011
- Survey: Many Occupy Wall Street protesters are unhappy Democrats who want more influence Archived October 19, 2011, at the Wayback Machine, By Azi Paybarah, Capital New York, October 18, 2011
- Doug Schoen Grossly Misrepresents His Own Poll Results To Smear Occupy Wall Street By Judd Legum, Think Progress,Oct 18, 2011
- Benen, Steve. "Doug Schoen isn't helping his reputation". Political Animal blog. Washington Monthly. Retrieved October 19, 2011.