This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Douglas C. Sharon
|Alma mater||University of California, Los Angeles|
|Known for||studying Peruvian uses of |
entheogenic and medicinal plants
|Institutions||University of California, Los Angeles|
Douglas Sharon is an American cultural anthropologist (UCLA), ethnobotanist and shamanism scholar who has directed both the University of California/Berkeley’s Phoebe Hearst Museum of Anthropology and the San Diego Museum of Man. He has conducted more than 40 years of field research and published on pre-Columbian and modern shamanic practices in Peru, Mexico, Guatemala, Ecuador and Bolivia.
His ethnographic film entitled Eduardo the Healer is utilized in university-level anthropology courses and has won awards at the American, Modern Language, and John Muir Medical film festivals. Sharon directs projects in cultural anthropology and lectures internationally on the integration of traditional healing practices with modern public health systems.
- Wizard of the Four Winds—A Shaman's Story (1978). New. York: The Free Press.
- Shamanism & the sacred cactus: ethnoarchaeological evidence for San Pedro use in northern Perú (2000). San Diego: San Diego Museum of Man.
As an editor
- Mesas & Cosmologies in Mesoamerica (2003) (ed.). San Diego: San Diego Museum of Man.
- Sorcery and Shamanism: Curanderos and Clients in Northern Peru with Donald Joralemon. (1993) Salt Lak City: University of Utah.
- A Peruvian Curandero’s Séance: Power and Balance by Sharon, Douglas C. (1976). In The Realm of the Extra-Human: Agents and Audiences (9th International Congress of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences, Chicago). A. Bharati, ed., pp. 371–81. The Hague: Mouton.
- Distribution of the Mesa in Latin America by Sharon, Douglas C. (1976). In Journal of Latin American Lore 2(1):75-91.
- The Magic Cactus: Ethnoarchaeological Continuity in Peru by Sharon, Douglas C. & Christopher B. Donnan (1977). In Archaeology 30 (6):374-381. New York: The Archeological Institute of American.
- Sharon, Douglas (1978). "Eduardo the healer". WorldCat. Retrieved November 20, 2016.
- Renowned scholar of Peruvian traditions to speak at Anthropology Museum Utah State University
- UC Berkeley's anthropology museum announces the hiring of its first full-time director University of Berkeley
- Faculty Research Spotlight: Douglas Sharon Latin American Studies Association, San Diego.
- Review of his 1978 Eduardo the Healer documentary Wiley Online Library
- WorldCat Identities Douglas Sharon
- Research Gate Douglas Sharon
- IdRef Douglas Sharon