Douglas Spotted Eagle
|Douglas Spotted Eagle|
|Birth name||Douglas Wallentine|
|Born||1962 (age 52–53)|
|Origin||Valley Junction, Iowa|
|Labels||Windham Hill Records|
Douglas Spotted Eagle (born Douglas Wallentine) is a musician, primarily known for playing the Native American-style flute. He is sometimes accompanied by Dineh singers and instrumentalists and at other times by a modern-style band. He is listed in The Native American Almanac as a flutist who does traditional and new age music, and in World Music By Richard Nidel as a flutist and film composer "who incorporates synthesizers into Native sounds."
Video production and software
Background and personal life
Spotted Eagle is not Native American himself. Born Douglas Wallentine, he was raised in a non-Native family in Valley Junction, Iowa. After his family moved to Salt Lake City, Utah, he was a guitarist in a rock and roll band.
He says he grew up around Lakota and Navajo families in Iowa and Utah, the former of which he says gave him his name when he was 14 or 16. His claims of adoption into any Native American culture, as well as his use of a Native American name, have come under scrutiny.
Spotted Eagle lives in Utah. He lost his son Joshua Davis Wallentine to suicide.
His hobbies include wingsuiting. In 2015 he was appointed the U.S. Team Manager for the First World Cup of Wingsuit Performance Flying.
- 1990 - Sacred Feelings (SOAR)
- 1991 - CanyonSpeak (SOAR; reissued 2000)
- 1991 - Legend of the Flute Boy (SOAR; reissued 2007)
- 1992 - Stand at the Center (Natural Visions NV101)
- 1993 - Human Rites (Natural Visions NV102)
- 1994 - Ultimate Collection (Natural Visions/NV103)
- 1994 - Common Ground (Natural Visions/NV106)
- 1995 - Between Father Sky and Mother Earth by Various Artists
- 1996 - Closer to far Away (Windham Hill/BMG)
- 1997 - Tenaya: Ode to Yosemite (Natural Visions/NV120)
- 1998 - Pray (Higher Octave)
- 1999 - Voices
- Making Arrows the Old Way!! (as Doug Wallentine. Later reissued after name change) Eagles View Publishing (1987)
- Voices of Native America. Illustrated by Ralph L. Smith. Eagle's View Pub., ISBN 0-943604-56-7. ISBN 978-0-943604-56-5. (1997).
- Instant Sound Forge (VASST) (2004)
- Using Soundtrack: Produce Original Music for Video, DVD, and Multimedia (2004) ISBN 978-1578202294
- Instant Digital Audio: VASST Instant Series (2005 ) ISBN 978-1-57820-276-8
- Vegas Editing Workshop (2005) ISBN 1-57820-279-5
- Instant Adobe Encore (2005)
- The Guerilla Filmmaker's Workshop (2005)
- Basics of Digital Video (Sony) (2006)
- YouTube for Dummies (technical editor) (2007)
- HDV: What You NEED to Know (2008)
- The Full HD: A Complete Guide to High Definition Video (2011)
- Vegas Pro Editing Workshop (2012) ISBN 0-240-82369-9
- Beyond the Full HD (4K/8K) third ed (2013)
- The Book of Wingsuit Formations (2013) ASIN: B00BNHQ9U4
- Douglas Spotted Eagle bio at GetTune. Accessed 6 June 2015
- MAKING INDIAN BOWS AND ARROWS by Douglas Spotted Eagle Wallentine at Manataka
- Making Arrows the Old Way!! by Douglas Spotted Eagle
- The Native American Almanac by Arlene B. Hirschfelder, Martha Kreipe De Montaño
- World Music by Richard Nidel, p. 311
- Handbook of Native American Mythology by Dawn Elaine Bastian, Judy K. Mitchell, page 244
- Death: Joshua Davis Wallentine in the Desert News, Tuesday, Nov. 17 1998 12:00 a.m. MST
- USPA Board Meeting Concludes
- Source for The Great Plains Region by Amanda Rees The Greenwood Encyclopedia of Regional Cultures