Douglass Academy for Young Men
Frederick Douglass Academy for Young Men is a Detroit, Michigan grade 6-12 school exclusively for boys. It is a part of Detroit Public Schools (DPS), and it is the only all-male public school in the State of Michigan. It is named after Frederick Douglass and it is located in Woodbridge, in the former Murray-Wright High School.
As of 2012 the school has about 200 students.
On Thursday March 29, 2012 50 students walked out of classes to protest against the removal of the school's principal and a lack of and perceived inconsistency in the school's teachers. The activist Helen Moore and two Detroit Public Schools school members, Reverend David Murray and LaMar Lemmons III, marched with the students. The 50 students were suspended from school.
As of 2012 it typically meets federal adequate yearly progress academic standards; it is one of the few Detroit Public Schools high schools to do so. In 2011 the school did not meet those standards in the English language arts.
DPS offices and facilities
The DPS Office of Code of Conduct, Student Assistance and Support is located in the South Wing of the Douglass building.
The DPS Office of Specialized Student Services (Special Education) Placement Center is in Room 168 of the South Wing.
- Detroit International Academy for Young Women - A public all girls' school in Detroit
- Dawsey, Chastity Pratt. "Douglass Academy walkout earns suspensions for about 50 high schoolers" (Archive). Detroit Free Press. March 30, 2012. Retrieved on November 2, 2012.
- "Home." Frederick Douglass Academy for Young Men. Retrieved on June 30, 2015. "Nestled in the blossoming Woodbridge neighborhood[...]"
- Dawsey, Chastity Pratt. "Girls school: A model for change." Detroit Free Press. February 4, 2008. Retrieved on June 30, 2015.
- "Office of Code of Conduct, Student Assistance and Support." Detroit Public Schools. Retrieved on November 29, 2015. "Douglass Academy for Young Men South Wing Room 170 2001 West Warren Detroit, MI 48202"
- "Office of Specialized Student Services." Detroit Public Schools. Retrieved on November 29, 2015. "Direct requests concerning transportation eligibility should come to the Placement Center: South Wing/Room #168 2001 West Warren Detroit, MI 48208 Inside the Frederick Douglass College Preparatory Academy for Young Men"
- Frederick Douglass Academy for Young Men
- Douglass Academy for Young Men profile - Detroit Public Schools