|Original author(s)||Timo Sirainen|
|Developer(s)||Timo Sirainen and contributors|
|Initial release||July 2002|
2.3.14 / 4 March 2021
|Type||IMAP and POP3 server|
|License||Mostly MIT and LGPLv2|
Dovecot is an open-source IMAP and POP3 server for Unix-like operating systems, written primarily with security in mind. Timo Sirainen originated Dovecot and first released it in July 2002. Dovecot developers primarily aim to produce a lightweight, fast and easy-to-set-up open-source email server.
The primary purpose of Dovecot is to act as mail storage server. Mail is delivered to the server using some mail delivery agent (MDA) and stored for later access with an email client (mail user agent, or MUA). Dovecot can also act as mail proxy server, forwarding connection to another mail server, or act as a lightweight MUA in order to retrieve and manipulate mail on remote server for e.g. mail migration.
According to the Open Email Survey, as of 2020, Dovecot has an installed base of at least 2.9 million IMAP servers, and has a global market share of 76.9% of all IMAP servers. The results of the same survey in 2019 gave figures of 2.6 million and 76.2%, respectively.
Dovecot can work with standard mbox, Maildir, and its own native high-performance dbox formats. It is fully compatible with UW IMAP and Courier IMAP servers’ implementation of them, as well as mail clients accessing the mailboxes directly.
With version 2.2, some new features have been added to Dovecot, e.g. additional IMAP command extensions, dsync has been rewritten or optimized, and shared mailboxes now support per-user flags.
- "Release 2.3.14". 4 March 2021. Retrieved 10 March 2021.
- "COPYING.LGPL file in dovecot repository". Retrieved 2017-10-04.
- "Dovecot website". Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- Sirainen, Timo (2019-03-01). "Dovecot's global market share grows to 76%". Open-Xchange. Archived from the original on 2020-03-05. Retrieved 2020-03-05.
- "Mailbox Format: dbox". Dovecot v2.x Wiki. 2012-10-30. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "v2.2.0 released". 2013-04-12. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "v2.3.0 released". 2017-12-22. Retrieved 2018-03-12.
- "Mozilla Security Audit". Retrieved 2017-01-13.