Dover Court International School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Dover Court International School|
301 Dover Road
|Principal||Mr. Christopher Short|
|Houses||Jurong, Kranji, Newton, Ubin|
|Athletics conference||ACSIS, FOBISIA|
|Accreditation||IPC: International Primary Curriculum, IB World School, CIS: Council of International Schools, Edexcel, FOBISIA|
Dover Court International School (DCIS) is an international school in Singapore. Founded in 1972, DCIS delivers the English National Curriculum to 1,400 students between the ages of 3 and 18. Over 60 nationalities are represented in the school, with the majority of teachers coming from the United Kingdom. In 2015, DCIS registered with the Committee for Private Education of Singapore and since April 2014 it is part of the Nord Anglia Education group of schools.
Dover Court International School was founded in 1972 as Dover Court Preparatory School by Ernest Alliott. The campus was established in April 1972 on Dover Road, in the former Officer’s Mess of the Royal Corps of Signals, constructed by the British military in 1952. Dover Court Preparatory School was first registered with the Ministry of Education of Singapore in 1972, owned and managed by International Preparatory Schools (Pte) Ltd, later known as Dover Court Preparatory School (Pte) Ltd. Both the school and the company were founded by the late chairman, Alliott, who previously had been a British Government Headmaster in Singapore.
Under Maureen Roach, principal from the 1990 to 2015 the school developed its department for supportive education. The school is still known in Singapore for its inclusive approach to learning and the Department of Supportive Education is extensive and well-regarded.
In April 2014, the school changed ownership and became part of the Nord Anglia Education family of schools.
The school underwent an extensive refurbishment project during the 2014 summer period. In September 2014, the school changed its name from Dover Court Preparatory School to Dover Court International School. In 2016, Christopher Short was appointed Principal. In January 2018, the school was awarded the Outstanding Senior Leadership Team of the Year prize at The British International School Awards. In September 2018 Year Group Leader Ms Monica Dolan was announced as the winner of the Future Leaders Category at BritCham's 19th Annual Business Awards.
Dover Court International School started with just 25 students and has over the years had a steady pattern of growth and development and the current number of students is approximately 1400.[when?]
Dover Court International School is located on Dover Road in district 05 in Central Singapore. DCIS sits on a leafy green site of over 12 acres in the educational district of Dover, near several other educational institutions. The campus has been refurbished in recent years and has extensive outdoor facilities including a running track, a grass football pitch, basket- and netball courts, a six lane 25 metre swimming pool, a shallow learning pool, a sensory garden and several playgrounds. The school comprises specialist suits for science, music, design technology, art drama, a radio studio, a TV recording studio along with therapy suits.
Dover Court International School teaches the English National Curriculum, adapted for an international setting. Nursery and Reception follow the Early Years Foundation Stage. Key Stage 1: Year 1 and 2, and Key Stage 2: Year 3, 4, 5 and 6 follow the English National Curriculum along with the International Primary Curriculum. Students in Year 10 and 11 sit the iGCSE and in the Sixth Form the International Baccalaureate is offered.
All Primary School students have daily Mandarin lessons and in Secondary School the students are able to choose between French, Mandarin and Spanish.
Through Nord Anglia Education, DCIS is part of a network with 55 schools across the globe and the students are able to connect and learn with 50,000 NAE students as part of the Global Campus programme. The STEAM subjects at Dover Court International School are supported by a collaboration with MIT. The school also offers a music curriculum developed by The Juilliard School. In early 2015, the Juilliard - Nord Anglia Performing Arts Program was developed by Juilliard in collaboration with Nord Anglia Education. This enabled Dover Court International School's students to be a part of the first 10 schools to pilot the program alongside other schools in Washington, Prague, Shanghai and Thailand, among other cities.
In 2018, Dover Court International School partnered the Asian Business Aviation Association (AsBAA) to launch a science, technology, engineering, and math program that took students on a tour to Jet Aviation.
Dover Court International School has several competitive sports teams: football, netball, basketball, rugby, touch rugby, swimming, cross country, athletics, indoor cricket and Gaelic football. DCIS is part of the Athletics Conference Singapore International Schools, ACSIS and participates also in international sports events through the Federation of British International Schools in Asia, FOBISIA.
DCIS has an active music department with a school orchestra and several choirs, together with the drama department annual musicals are produced. In May 2018 a DCIS student won the Best Drama and Best Special Effects awards in the Across Asia Youth Film Festival (AAYFF) with his film War Photographer.
There are annual residential trips for all year groups from Year 3 and above, as well as opportunities to participate in expeditions to the Swiss Alps and Tanzania. Students also participate in the United Nations High Level Politician Forum in New York, a Global Orchestra for Nord Anglia students held at The Juilliard School and in annual STEAM workshops at MIT.
- "Dover Court: one to watch - Southeast Asia Globe Magazine". Southeast Asia Globe Magazine. 29 October 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "Conference Call Schedules, School Openings, and Contract Update - Analyst Notes on Nord Anglia Education, Advisory Board, ITT Educational Services, Scientific Games and Convergys". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 6 July 2018.
- "Specialist education for children in Singapore". Expat Living Singapore. 1 March 2013. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "Special Education Needs in Singapore? Dover Court International School DCIS Expands Its SEN Provision". Sassy Mama. 11 April 2018. Retrieved 5 June 2018.
- "Special Needs Schools in Singapore: Preschools, Early Intervention Programmes, Therapy Centres and International Schools". Sassy Mama. 2 October 2018. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- "News Post". www.fobisia.org. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "19th Annual Business Awards Winner: Monica Dolan for Future Leaders". www.britcham.org.sg. Retrieved 2 October 2018.
- Inc., Nord Anglia Education. "Nord Anglia Education Collaborates with MIT". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- Inc., Nord Anglia Education. "Nord Anglia Education And The Juilliard School Announce Global Collaboration". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- Sheppard, Ian. "AsBAA Holds Discovery Day at ABACE". Aviation International News. Aviation International News. Aviation International News. Retrieved 27 April 2019.
- "Athletic Conference of Singapore International Schools". www.acsis.sg. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "FOBISIA". www.fobisia.org. Retrieved 31 May 2018.
- "AAYFF 2018 WINNING FILMS". AAYFF. Retrieved 31 May 2018.