17-year-old William "Bill" Bartlett claimed that while driving on April 21, 1977, he saw a large-eyed creature "with tendril-like fingers" and glowing eyes on top of a broken stone wall on Farm Street in Dover, Massachusetts. 15-year-old John Baxter reported seeing a similar creature on Miller Hill Road the same evening. Another 15-year-old, Abby Brabham, claimed to have seen the creature the following night on Springdale Avenue.
The teenagers all drew sketches of the alleged creature. Bartlett wrote on his sketch, "I, Bill Bartlett, swear on a stack of Bibles that I saw this creature." According to the Boston Globe, "the locations of the sightings, plotted on a map, lay in a straight line over 2 miles".
Some suggested that the creature may have been a foal or a moose calf. Police told the Associated Press that creatures reported by the teenagers "were probably nothing more than a school vacation hoax."
In popular culture
The Dover Demon appears as a character in the American comic book series Proof, which features various other creatures of cryptozoology. In the comic, it is a creature able to see into the future. It appears in another similar comic book series called The Perhapanauts. The Dover Demon would further make brief appearances in the comic books The Pound: Ghouls Night Out, and Hack/Slash: Entry Wound.
- Sullivan, Mark (October 29, 2006). "Decades later, the Dover Demon still haunts". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 7 March 2014.
- "Teeners report 'creature'". Bangor Daily News. May 16, 1977. Retrieved 10 March 2014.
- "Lost Tapes" Dover Demon (TV Episode 2009) on IMDb
- The Perhapanauts #1, (April 1, 2008)
- The Perhapanauts: Second Chances #3, 4 (December 1, 2006-January 1, 2007)
- "Dover Demon (Character)" Comic Vine