Dover High School (Arkansas)
|Dover High School|
The Dover Pirates' flag is symbolized as the Jolly Roger
|101 Pirates Loop
Dover, Arkansas 72837
|School district||Dover School District|
|NCES District ID||0505430|
|NCES School ID||050543000257|
|Principal||Jo Lynn Taverner|
|Faculty||36.14 (on FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||10.87|
|Campus type||Rural; distant|
|Song||Oh, Dover High we honor|
|Fight song||On with Dover|
|Athletics conference||4A Region 4 (2012–14)|
|Sports||Football, Golf, Cross Country, Basketball, Competitive Cheer, Baseball, Softball, Athletics|
|Team name||Dover Pirates|
|Affiliations||Arkansas Activities Association|
Dover High School is a comprehensive public secondary school located in rural, distant community of Dover, Arkansas, United States. The school educates more than 350 students annually in grades nine through twelve. Dover is one of five public high schools in Pope County and is the sole high school administered by the Dover School District. The first graduating class of six students, all female, completed studies in the spring of 1923.
The assumed course of study for students is to complete the Smart Core curriculum developed by the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE), which requires students complete at least 22 units for graduation. Course offerings include regular and Advanced Placement classes and exams with opportunities for college credit via AP exam. The school is accredited by the ADE.
Students may participate in various musical and performing arts including: band (e.g., concert band, jazz band, marching band), choir (e.g., a Concert Choir, Madrigals, Ladies Ensemble, and Barbershop Quartet) and theater (e.g., competitive speech, drama, stagecraft). Students may participate in Art Club. Both the Dover Senior High Band and Choir programs have been the recipient of various statewide awards. Most recently, the Dover Senior High Choirs were recognized as State Champions at the 2013 Arkansas Choral Performance Assessment under the direction of Mrs. Carrie Taylor. The Dover Midnight Brigade (marching band) has been hailed the "Pride of Pope County."
For the 2012–14 seasons, the Dover Pirates participate in the 4A Region 4 Conference. Competition is primarily sanctioned by the Arkansas Activities Association with student-athletes competing in football, volleyball, baseball, basketball (boys/girls), competitive cheer, dance, golf (boys/girls), soccer (boys/girls), softball, tennis (boys/girls), track and field (boys/girls).
Clubs and traditions
Dover students participate in a variety of leadership, business, affinity groups and career-centric pursuits ranging from membership, activities, events and conferences supported by Art Club, Science Club, Spanish Club, Key Club, Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA), Fellowship of Christian Athletes (FCA), Future Farmers of America (FFA), National Beta Club, National Honor Society and Tri-M Music Honor Society, Quiz Bowl, and Student Council.
The following are notable people associated with Dover High School. If the person was a Dover High School student, the number in parentheses indicates the year of graduation; if the person was a faculty or staff member, that person's title and years of association are included:
- Robert E. Dale (1964), Republican member of the Arkansas House of Representatives from Pope and Van Buren counties; former member and president of the Dover School Board
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Dover School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Dover High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- "Dover School District Handbook" (PDF). Dover School District. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- "The High School Challenge". Washington Post. Retrieved December 30, 2012.
- "2012-14 AAA Classifications and Conferences" (PDF). Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved December 25, 2012.
- "School Profile, Dover High School". Arkansas Activities Association. Retrieved December 26, 2012.