Dover Street Market
Dover Street Market was created by Rei Kawakubo of Japanese fashion label Comme des Garçons and her husband Adrian Joffe. The store sells all Comme des Garçons brands and complementary high fashion brands, young creations, streetwear such as Balenciaga, Brain Dead, Céline, Daniela Gregis, Dreamland Syndicate, Golf Wang, Gucci, Hussein Chalayan, J.W.Anderson, Lanvin, LOEWE, Maison Margiela, Marni, Nike, Proenza Schouler, Ovelia Transtoto, Raf Simons, Rick Owens, Roberts Wood, sacai, Stussy, The Row, Thom Browne, Valentino, Vans, Vetements and many other brands.
This section contains content that is written like an advertisement. (August 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dover Street Market is often described as a departement store or a concept store, however the shop offers a different approach to retail, pushing the boundaries of what retail should be.
The concept behind it, was to construct a new kind of shop that would celebrate creativity, decry comformity and ignore established principles of retail. A place where streetwear would collide with luxury, young designers would line up with world famous icons, artists would interfere in the installations, designers would be free to make their own spaces. Aiming to create a beautiful chaos.
The first Dover Street Market openend on September 10th 2004 on 17–18 Dover Street, in Mayfair, London. In March 2016 the original store relocated to the former Burberry building (erected in 1912 by Thomas Burberry) on Haymarket (South Piccadilly).
The original Dover Street Market (17-18 Dover Street, London) used to be home of the Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA) in May 1950.
Locations outside London include:
- Dover Street Market Ginza opened in 2006 in Tokyo.
- Dover Street Market New York opened in December 2013 in Manhattan's Murray Hill in the old New York School of Applied Design building at 160 Lexington Avenue,
- Dover Street Market Singapore in a former British Army barracks on Dempsey Hill, opened in July 2017 
- Dover Street Market Beijing, turned into a Dover Street Market in February 2018, previously a joint venture of I.T and Dover Street Market called I.T Beijing Market.
- Dover Street Market Los Angeles opened fall 2018 in the Arts District
The London, Tokyo and New York stores all have a Rose Bakery café, created by Rose Carrarini and her husband Jean Charles.
- Nick Grant, The 50 Best Stores in the World, Complex, August 2013
- Dover Street Market Ginza
- Dover Street Market New York
- Linda G. Miller. "In the News". AIA New York. Retrieved February 19, 2017.
- Melissa Heng. "Dover Street Market Singapore opens on Saturday with fresh spin on retail". The Strait Times. Retrieved July 28, 2017.
|This article about an English company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a retailer in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a London building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|