Dover Township, Athens County, Ohio
|Dover Township, Athens County, Ohio|
Location of Dover Township in Athens County
|• Total||36.5 sq mi (94.5 km2)|
|• Land||36.2 sq mi (93.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.3 sq mi (0.9 km2)|
|Elevation||663 ft (202 m)|
|• Density||100/sq mi (38.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085754|
Dover Township is one of the fourteen townships of Athens County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 3,626 people in the township, 2,577 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northwestern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Trimble Township - north
- Homer Township, Morgan County - northeast corner
- Ames Township - east
- Canaan Township - southeast corner
- Athens Township - south
- Waterloo Township - southwest corner
- York Township - west
- Ward Township, Hocking County - northwest corner
Several populated places are located in Dover Township:
- The village of Chauncey, in the center
- Part of the census-designated place of The Plains, in the south
- The unincorporated community of Millfield, in the north
Name and history
Dover Township was organized in 1811.
Coal mining has historically been important in Dover Township, which was the site of the Millfield Mine disaster of 1930.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Dover township, Athens County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved July 10, 2013.
- DeLorme. Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 7th ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2004, p. 80. ISBN 0-89933-281-1.
- Walker, Charles Manning (1869). History of Athens County, Ohio, And, Incidentally, of the Ohio Land Company and the First Settlement of the State at Marietta. Robert Clarke & Company. p. 460.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.