Dover Township, York County, Pennsylvania
Dover Township, Pennsylvania
|• Type||Board of Supervisors|
|• Total||41.79 sq mi (108.24 km2)|
|• Land||41.56 sq mi (107.63 km2)|
|• Water||0.23 sq mi (0.61 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||516.48/sq mi (199.42/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|U.S. Decennial Census|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 42.1 square miles (109 km2), of which 42.0 square miles (109 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2), or 0.17%, is water. Dover Township completely surrounds the borough of Dover.
As of the census of 2000, there were 18,074 people, 6,999 households, and 5,256 families living in the township. The population density was 430.4 people per square mile (166.2/km2). There were 7,217 housing units at an average density of 171.8/sq mi (66.3/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 97.25% White, 0.92% African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.43% Asian, 0.01% Pacific Islander, 0.51% from other races, and 0.69% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.03% of the population.
There were 6,999 households, out of which 33.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.0% were married couples living together, 7.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.9% were non-families. 20.2% of all households were made up of individuals, and 7.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.55 and the average family size was 2.93.
In the township the population was spread out, with 24.2% under the age of 18, 6.7% from 18 to 24, 31.1% from 25 to 44, 25.3% from 45 to 64, and 12.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females, there were 98.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $46,845, and the median income for a family was $53,252. Males had a median income of $36,478 versus $23,787 for females. The per capita income for the township was $20,513. About 2.8% of families and 4.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.2% of those under age 18 and 4.4% of those age 65 or over.
Dover Township is served by the Dover Area School District including Dover Area High School. Students may also attend one of the Commonwealth's cyber charter schools at no additional cost to the family or student. The local school district pays the Pennsylvania Department of Education set tuition fee to the cyber charter school that the student chooses to attend. Alternatively, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania permits parents to home school their children or they may attend a private school.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Aug 14, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Dover township, York County, Pennsylvania". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved October 7, 2011.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Pennsylvania Department of Education, Charter Schools, 2013