|Population||9,358 (2016 census)|
|• Density||2,399/km2 (6,210/sq mi)|
|Area||3.9 km2 (1.5 sq mi)|
|LGA(s)||City of Casey|
Doveton is a suburb in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 31 km south-east of Melbourne's central business district. Its local government area is the City of Casey. At the 2016 Census, Doveton had a population of 9,358.
Named around 1954, When transformed into a public housing estate to house the post-war population increase caused by a surge in displaced people from war torn countries and an industrial boom in Dandenong. This is disputed.
Doveton Post Office opened on 1 December 1956 as the suburb was developing and booming. An example is that when it was first opened several of the state schools and colleges had increasing enrolments and had booming popularity and growth, and this is the reason why the post office was opened – the population continued to increase.
Sometime[when?] in 1967 the first library was opened by residents, during a period when Doveton lacked any community services or facilities. Around this time Doveton gained its first council representation.
Doveton has been studied by sociology academics since the 1960s. The results of the study were published in the book 'An Australian Newtown' written by Lois Bryson and Faith Thompson in 1972. While Doveton was not specifically mentioned it is clear from the map of the area and the dates published that it is the sole subject of this book.
A big attraction is Myuna Farm, an interactive animal farm where people can come to meet farm animals. The farm has a train for children to ride to the outer sections of the farm. It is a popular venue for children and hosts an annual Christmas carol event.
Schools within Doveton include one state primary schools; Doveton Heights P.S, one Catholic primary school (Holy Family Primary School) and one Christian primary school (Maranatha Christian School) for Prep – Grade 6.
Places of worship
- Church of All Nations
- St Matthews Anglican Endeavour Hills
- Miracle Christian Center
- Doveton Baptist Church
- Doveton Mosque
- The Shed
- Pillars of Guidance Community Centre (PGCC)
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Doveton (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 17 November 2017.
- Victorian Department of Sustainability and Environment, Locality Names and Boundaries – City of Casey (PDF), archived from the original (PDF) on 19 May 2009, retrieved 30 October 2008
- "Doveton: a brief history" by Maria Harding, 1993
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 5 December 2008. Retrieved 2011-05-23.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Doveton". Monash University. Archived from the original on 11 May 2004. Retrieved 2 September 2017.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Premier Postal History, Post Office List, retrieved 11 April 2008
- "Farm the home of festive cheer". Archived from the original on 9 September 2007. Retrieved 16 September 2007.
- "Melb's bat population this week and two "batty" events coming up". 5 February 2015.
- "Doveton Show".
- Full Point Footy, Southern Football League, archived from the original on 1 January 2009, retrieved 21 October 2008
- "Charities no more". Star Journal. 19 April 2017. Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- "St Matts Endeavour Hills". Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 2011-05-23.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Doveton Baptist". Retrieved 25 October 2018.
- "Doveton Mosque". Muslim Directory Australia. Retrieved 25 October 2018.