July 8, 1987 |
|Height||180 cm (71 in)|
|Weight||86 kg (190 lb)|
Dow Travers (born July 8, 1987) is a Caymanian alpine skier and rugby union player who competes in giant slalom and Rugby XVs and 7s. He represented the Cayman Islands in alpine skiing at the 2010 Winter Olympics, becoming the Cayman Islands' first Winter Olympian. Travers, who is the son of Anthony Travers, was born and raised in Grand Cayman, where he attended Faulkner's Academy. He later went to boarding school at Harrow School in London, United Kingdom, and Brown University which he represented for rugby and skiing. Travers has younger brothers, Dillon and Dean. Dean is also a competitive skier for the Cayman Islands.
In skiing, Dow has competed in the Winter Olympics and the World Championships for the Cayman Islands. At the Vancouver Olympics Dow placed 69th in the Giant Slalom. At the Sochi Olympics Dow received a DNF (did not finish) result in the Giant Slalom and the Slalom. Dow placed 65th in the Slalom event at the Val d'Isere World Championships.
In rugby, Dow has played for the Cayman Islands national rugby union team and currently plays on their 7s team in the North America Caribbean Rugby Association (NACRA) region. Dow was a member of the Cayman Islands 7s team at the Central American and Caribbean Games (CAC Games) in July 2010. Playing for Brown he has been selected for the All Ivy Rugby Team his freshman, sophomore, junior and senior years. In 2010 he was elected co-captain of the Brown Rugby Football Club. In 2011 he was selected for the New England All Stars team.
Much like Shaun "The Flying Tomato" White, Dow's brilliant red hair combined with his athletic agility have garnered him the moniker "The Ginger Ninja."
- "Caribbean Snow: Dow Travers Winter Olympic dream is a first for the Cayman Islands". Theskichannel.com. 2010-02-04. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- "biographie". FIS-Ski. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- Sekula, Sarah. "Dow Travers: His road to success is downhill – Story on". Caymanairwaysmagazine.com. Archived from the original on 2011-07-22. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- Your name: Bobo. "Plum TV Interview with Dow Travers, First Caymen Islands Winter Olympian – — Plum TV". Plumtv.com. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- "Cayman Islands – Cay Compass News Online – Travers is snow joke". Caycompass.com. 2009-08-23. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- Todd, Aaron (2010-02-11). "From white beaches to snowy slopes | Today at Brown". Today.brown.edu. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- "Cayman Islands News". Caymannewsservice.com. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- "Dow Travers – Video, News, Photos | NBC Olympics". C.nbcolympics.com. 1987-07-08. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- "Officers of Brown University Rugby Club – Providence, Rhode Island – Brown Rugby Football". Brown.edu. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
|This biographical article relating to alpine skiing is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Caymanian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|