Dowdeswell is a civil parish in the ward of Chedworth, Cotswold, in the ceremonial county of Gloucestershire, England. It is separated into Upper and Lower Dowdeswell, the former being south of the latter. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 census was 134.
The Church of Saint Michael and All Saints is a Grade I listed building.
Northwest of Lower Dowdeswell, there is Dowdeswell Woods. Immediately south of these woods is Dowdeswell Reservoir. Both Dowdeswell Reservoir and Dowdeswell Woods have been managed historically as nature reserves through the Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust (formerly named Gloucestershire Trust for Nature Conservation). On the opposite hillside to Dowdeswell Woods lies Lineover Wood which is a Site of Special Scientific Interest and is on the steep face of the Cotswold scarp. The Cotswold Way runs at the edge of Dowdeswell Woods, crosses the A40 and runs through Lineover Wood. The nature reserve of Arle Grove lies in the parish of Dowdeswell.
In 1891, Dowdeswell was the name given to a station in the nearby village of Andoversford on the Midland and South Western Junction Railway; the name was to avoid confusion with Andoversford station on the Great Western Railway's Cheltenham to Banbury line. The name of Dowdeswell station was changed to Andoversford and Dowdeswell in 1892. The station closed to passengers in 1927 after the GWR had taken over the M&SWJR; however, it remained open for goods traffic until 1962.
- "Parish population 2011.Retrieved 22 March 2015".
- Kelham, A, Sanderson, J, Doe, J, Edgeley-Smith, M, et al, 1979, 1990, 2002 editions, 'Nature Reserves of the Gloucestershire Trust for Nature Conservation/Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust'
- Gloucestershire Wildlife Trust reserves information online
- Cotswold District Council.
- Gloucestershire Railway Stations, Mike Oakley, Dovecote Press, 2003, ISBN 1-904349-24-2.
- Gloucestershire: the Cotswolds, David Verey, Pevsner Architectural Guides: The Buildings of England, Penguin, 1970, ISBN 0-14-071040-X. pp. 216–219.
|This Gloucestershire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|