|Single by Status Quo|
|from the album On the Level|
|Released||29 November 1974|
|Genre||Hard rock, blues-rock|
|Length||3:49 (single version)
5:24 (album version)
|Status Quo singles chronology|
Written by Francis Rossi and Bob Young and produced by Status Quo, "Down Down" was Status Quo's only number one single in the UK Singles Chart to date. "Down Down" spent a week at the top of the chart in January 1975. The single was first released on 29 November 1974 on the Vertigo label, paired with the B-side song "Nightride". Both songs came from the album On The Level which had yet to be released. The album version lasts 5 minutes and 24 seconds and the single version 3 minutes and 49 seconds.
In 1986 co-writer Bob Young released a country music style version of "Down Down" on his solo album In Quo Country.
In July 2012, Status Quo reworked the lyrics to create a 3-minute promotional song for the Australian supermarket chain Coles. The chorus chants, "down, down, prices are down". This was released on television and YouTube, the most famous of which depicts a mince rally.
- 1974: Down Down / Nightride [p] 45 rpm Vinyl 7" Vertigo / 6059 114 United Kingdom
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 309. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Mugan, Chris (2002-12-07). "John Peel's comments on playing 'Down Down', in The Guardian". London. Retrieved 2010-05-01.
- Alex Hayes (2012-07-11). "Status Quo rock for Coles commercial | B&T". Bandt.com.au. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
- "Coles Mince Rally".
- "Status Quo perform Down, Down for Coles". Australia: Mumbrella.com.au. 2012-07-11.
"Lonely This Christmas" by Mud
|UK Singles Chart number one single
January 18, 1975 (1 week)
"Ms Grace" by The Tymes