Down East (magazine)
|Former editors||Paul Doiron, D.W. Kuhnert, Davis Thomas, Duane Doolittle|
|Company||Down East Enterprise|
|Based in||Rockport, Maine|
Down East: The Magazine of Maine is the principal general interest monthly magazine covering the U.S. state of Maine. It is based in Camden, Maine. As it was originally known, Down East Magazine was founded in 1954. It covers a range of topics including politics, business, food, fashion, and lifestyle in the state of Maine.
It enjoys the largest paid circulation of any publication in the state, at 91,564, and 64% of its readership is aged 55 and above. Global readership exceeds 400,000. The magazine is published twelve times a year by its parent company, Down East Enterprise, Inc., which also publishes Shooting Sportsman and Fly Rod & Reel magazines. In 2013, Down East Enterprise sold its book publishing arm to Rowman & Littlefield.
The magazine recently opened a second office in Portland, Maine.
Down East Magazine and Vermont Life Magazine together founded the International Regional Magazine Association in 1960. The magazine is a member of the International Regional Magazine Association, the Penobscot Bay Chamber of Commerce, the City and Regional Magazine Association, the Alliance for Audited Media, and the Portland Regional Chamber of Commerce.
Down East's digital presence hinges on downeast.com, which features an e-store, blogs, travel guides, dining guides, back-issues, real estate listings, and photo galleries. The magazine launched a digital edition for iPad in 2013.
Down East Marketplace
The 1,700-square-foot MarketPlace, complete with an "Experience Maine" interactive kiosk and Down East branded TV programming about Maine, is located in the Portland Jetport's newly expanded terminal, and allows Down East to offer customers new ways to access the information they have come to rely on. The two million visitors who pass through the Jetport each year can shop for a wide array of top-quality Maine-made products, including food, clothing, travel accessories, gifts, books, magazines, and more from the state's most respected companies.
Virginia M. Wright has written five books for Down East Publishing: Route 1: Maine, Ultimate Acadia, Red’s Eats: World’s Best Lobster Shack, The Wild Blueberry Book, and The Maine Lobster Book.
Paul Doiron is the author of the Mike Bowditch series of crime novels, including The Poacher's Son, which won the Barry Award and the Strand Critics Award for Best First Novel. PopMatters named it to its Best Fiction of 2010 list. Other books in the series are Trespasser, Bad Little Falls, and Massacre Pond.
Sandra L. Oliver is a contributing writer to Down East, a food historian, and the author of Maine Home Cooking and Food in Colonial and Federal America, among other books.
- "eCirc for Consumer Magazines." Audit Bureau of Circulations. Retrieved April 29, 2012.
- Ulrich's Periodical Directory
- "Down East Magazine - Rockport, ME". Citymag.org. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Rowman & Littlefield Buys Down East Book Assets". PublishersWeekly.com. Retrieved 2014-08-22.
- "Down East magazine taps Maine native as first female editor-in-chief". BDN. 2013-09-18. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "IRMA". Regional Magazines. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Brand Detail". Paradies. Archived from the original on 2013-10-19. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "The Best Fiction of 2010". PopMatters. 2010-01-13. Retrieved 2013-11-02.
- "Sandra L. Oliver: Books, Biography, Blog, Audiobooks, Kindle". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2013-11-02.