Down to Earth (Monie Love album)
|Down to Earth|
|Studio album by Monie Love|
|Released||November 6, 1990|
|Producer||Afrika Baby Bam, Jerry Callendar, The Beatnuts, Dancin' Danny D, Andy Cox, David Steele, Richie Fermie|
|Monie Love chronology|
|Singles from Down to Earth|
Down to Earth is the debut album by Monie Love, which was released on November 6, 1990, on Warner Bros. Records. It peaked at 109 on the Billboard 200 and at 26 on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums, and spawned three charting singles. "It's a Shame (My Sister)" became Monie's only top-40 hit in the U.S., and peaked at 26 on the Billboard Hot 100, while "Monie in the Middle" and "Down 2 Earth" were both successful on the R&B and hip hop charts.
In a contemporary review for The Village Voice, music critic Robert Christgau gave Down to Earth an "A–" and was impressed by Love's proud sensibilities, as she "radiates sisterhood even though she concentrates on the guys, and positivity and tradition" without much culturally or politically conscious lyrics. Alex Henderson was less enthusiastic in a retrospective review for AllMusic, in which he gave the album three-and-a-half out of five stars and wrote that Love raps well, but lacks worthwhile stories on an otherwise good album.
At the 33rd Grammy Awards, "Monie in the Middle" was nominated for Best Rap Solo Performance, but lost to MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This." The following year at the 34th Grammy Awards, she was nominated for Best Rap Solo Performance again for "It's a Shame (My Sister)" but lost to LL Cool J's "Mama Said Knock You Out."
- "Monie in the Middle" (Monie Love, Steele) 3:45
- "It's a Shame (My Sister)" (Garrett, Monie Love, Wonder; sample Performed by Love, True Image; additional vocals by Ultra Naté) 3:43
- "Don't Funk wid the Mo" (Callendar, Hall, Maxwell) 3:33
- "Ring My Bell" (Fermie, Monie Love) 3:52
- "R U Single" (Callendar, Hall, Maxwell) 4:07
- "Just Don't Give a Damn" (Callendar, Hall, Maxwell) 3:57
- "What I'm Supposed 2 B" (Callendar) 3:49
- "Dettrimentally Stable" (Callendar, Hall, Maxwell) 3:28
- "Down 2 Earth" (Callendar, Hall, Maxwell) 4:03
- "I Do as I Please" (Monie Love, Steele) 3:53
- "Pups Lickin' Bone (Monie Love, Tineo) 4:00
- "Read Between the Lines" (Callendar, Hall, Maxwell) 3:50
- "Race Against Reality" (Callendar, Maxwell, Love, Hall) 3:03
- "Swiney Swiney" (Callendar, Maxwell, Love, Hall) 3:12
- "Give It 2 U Like This" (Callendar, Maxwell, Love, Hall) 4:03
- "I Can Do This (Uptown Mix)" (Pogo, Sylvers, Love, Shockley, Shellby) 3:24
- "I'm Driving You Crazy" (Steele, Love) 4:16
- "Grandpa's Party" (Love II Love Remix) (Love, Fermie) 5:49
Note: Tracks 7, 13, 15, 16, and 17 were included in the UK edition but omitted from the U.S. edition.