|Predecessor||Evans Deakin Industries|
Number of locations
|Products||Railway rolling stock|
Rail Infrastructure management|
Railway locomotive leasing
|Revenue||$1.336 billion (June 2013)|
Keolis Downer (49%)|
Locomotive Demand Power
Downer Rail is an Australian railway engineering company. As well as manufacturing and maintaining railway rolling stock it holds maintenance contracts to maintain rail infrastructure. It is a subsidiary of Downer Group. The head office is located in North Ryde.
EDi Rail was formed in March 2001 following the purchase of Evans Deakin Industries by Downer Group to form Downer EDi. Evans Deakin operated the former Clyde Engineering plants at Kelso and Somerton and Walkers Limited, Maryborough plant. It had recently reopened the former Cardiff Locomotive Workshops to build CityRail M sets. In July 2007 it was renamed Downer Rail.
In 2008 Locomotive Demand Power was established as a subsidiary to lease locomotives. In November 2009 Downer Rail became a tram operator through its 49% shareholding in Keolis Downer that operates the Yarra Trams franchise in Melbourne. In July 2014, Keolis Downer commenced operating the G:link light rail line on the Gold Coast.
Downer Rail has manufactured items of rolling stock at its factories in Cardiff, Somerton, Maryborough and Port Augusta. As the ex-licence holder for Electro-Motive Diesel products it has also been involved in the procurement and maintenance of over 150 American built EMD SD70 series locomotives for BHP Billiton and Fortescue Metals Group's Pilbara operations.
- GT42CU AC - 62 built at Maryborough for Pacific National and QR National
- GT42CU ACe - 131 built at Maryborough for Genesee & Wyoming Australia, Locomotive Demand Power, Pacific National and QR National
- GT46C - 5 built at Port Augusta and Somerton for FreightLink and Freight Australia
- GT46C ACe - 76 built at Cardiff for Genesee & Wyoming Australia, Pacific National, QR National, SCT Logistics, Southern Shorthaul Railroad and Whitehaven Coal
Electric Multiple Units
- Sydney Trains M sets - 141 carriages built at Cardiff
- Sydney Trains A sets - 626 carriages built at Cardiff
- Sydney Trains B sets - order for 192 carriages
- QR Interurban Multiple Unit 160 series - 84 carriages built at Maryborough
- QR Suburban Multiple Unit 260 series - 114 carriages built at Maryborough
- Transperth B series - 234 carriages being built at Maryborough
- High Capacity Metro Trains - order of 65 trains for Metro Trains Melbourne to be assembled at Newport
- Locomotive Demand Power is a subsidiary offering locomotives for lease. As at January 2014 thirteen standard gauge GT46s and six narrow gauge GT42s had been built at Cardiff and Maryborough respectively with nine of the former leased to Aurizon.
- 49% shareholding in Keolis Downer joint venture with Keolis, trading as Yarra Trams, that has operated the Melbourne tram network since November 2009 and the G:link light rail network since July 2014.
- Australian Rail Track Corporation contract to maintain 2,000 kilometres of track in New South Wales and Victoria
- Leigh Creek line maintenance contract until 2017
- 50% shareholding in a joint venture with Bombardier Transportation to maintain the A-series, B-series and Transwa Australind trains for the Public Transport Authority until June 2019
- 10 year contract to maintain 300 locomotives for 10 years from February 2015 for Pacific National
- 25 year contract to maintain B sets for Sydney Trains
- Downer EDI launches new company names and branding approach Downer EDi 2 July 2007
- Melbourne tram and train operators selected Railway Gazette International 25 June 2009
- GoldlinQ selected to build Gold Coast light rail Railway Gazette International 6 May 2011
- Operator ATE Sold Australasian Bus & Coach 11 March 2015
- Downer and Electro-Motive Diesel Sign New Agreement Archived 7 January 2014 at the Wayback Machine. Downer EDi 26 June 2012
- Manufacturers EMD Export Page
- BHP Iron Ore Road Locomotive Roster Index Archived 8 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine. Pilbara Railway Pages
- Downer EDI secures $45 million locomotives deal with QR Archived 7 January 2014 at the Wayback Machine. Downer EDi 11 December 2008
- New train, tram operators for Melbourne The Age 25 June 2009
- Keolis consortium selected for Gold Coast Light Rail in Australia Archived 7 January 2014 at the Wayback Machine. Keolis May 2011
- Downer wins NSW rail contract despite Waratah debacle ABC News 22 January 2013
- Rail infrastructure construction and maintenance Vic and NSW Interstate Network Downer Rail
- Leigh Creek Line Alliance Maintenance Flinders Power Pty Ltd (1999-2017)[permanent dead link] Downer Rail
- Downer Bombardier Secures Maintenance Contract with Western Australia's Public Transport Authority Archived 7 January 2014 at the Wayback Machine. Downer EDi 25 July 2011
- Downer EDI and Pacific National sign billion dollar rail deal ABC News 3 February 2015
- Downer signs Locomotive Maintenance Agreement with Pacific National Downer Group 4 February 2015
- O'Sullivan, Matt (2016-12-01). "$1.7 billion in new Waratah trains for Sydney commuter network". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2018-05-18.