Downers Grove Main Street station
|Location||5001 Main Street
Downers Grove, Illinois, U.S.
|Owned by||Village of Downers Grove|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Passengers (2014)||2,473 (avg. weekday)|
|Rank||3 out of 236|
Downers Grove Main Street (also known as Downers Grove or Main Street) is one of three railroad stations on Metra's BNSF Railway Line in Downers Grove, Illinois, United States. The station is at Main Street, 21.1 miles (34.0 km) from Union Station, the east end of the line. The local police department is nearby. Parking lots are managed by the Village of Downers Grove.
It is the third-busiest Metra station outside of Downtown Chicago, only behind Naperville (second-busiest) and Route 59 (busiest).
This station was the site of the 1947 Zephyr train wreck that killed 3 and injured more than 30.
The station is currently undergoing a $1.1 million platform replacement project, due for completion in July 2015.
Many trains on the BNSF run express to or from Downers Grove. This is common during the morning and evening rush hours, in an effort to get passengers to the busier stations quicker.
- 461 North Downers Grove
- 462 Southwest Downers Grove
- 463 Southeast Downers Grove
- 834 Joliet/Downers Grove
- RTAMS - Rail Station: Main Street (Downers Grove)
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-03-26. Retrieved 2016-04-01.
- Metra Railfan Tips - BNSF Railway Line
- Village of Downers Grove - Commuter Shuttle
- Media related to Downers Grove – Main Street (Metra) at Wikimedia Commons
- Metra – Stations – Downers Grove Main Street
- Image of Westbound Train @ Downers Grove/Main Street (Metra Railfans)
- 1949 Photo of Station (DigitalPast.org)
- Downer's Grove-Main Street Crossing (Mike's Railroad Crossing Website)
- Station from Main Street from Google Maps Street View
|This Illinois train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|