Downhill (2020 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Based on||Force Majeure|
by Ruben Östlund
|Music by||Volker Bertelmann|
|Edited by||Pamela Martin|
|Distributed by||Searchlight Pictures|
|Box office||$5.2 million|
Downhill is a 2020 American black comedy drama film directed by Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, who also co-wrote the script with Jesse Armstrong. The film is a remake of Force Majeure (2014) by Swedish director Ruben Östlund. It stars Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Will Ferrell as a married couple going through a rough patch after a near-death encounter during a family ski outing.
Downhill had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 26, 2020, and was theatrically released on February 14, 2020, by Searchlight Pictures, the first film to be released under the studio's new name following Disney's acquisition of Fox studios.
After believing they are about to be killed by an avalanche during a family ski vacation in the Alps, a married couple is thrown into disarray as they are forced to reevaluate their lives and how they feel about each other.
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Billie Staunton
- Will Ferrell as Pete Staunton
- Miranda Otto as Charlotte
- Zoë Chao as Rosie
- Zach Woods as Zach
- Kristofer Hivju
- Julian Grey as Finn Staunton
- Ammon Jacob Ford as Emerson Staunton
- Giulio Berruti as Guglielmo
It was announced in November 2018 that an English-language remake of the Swedish film Force Majeure would be directed by Nat Faxon and Jim Rash, who both co-wrote the script with Jesse Armstrong. Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Will Ferrell were cast to star. Miranda Otto, Zoë Chao and Zach Woods also joined the cast, in December.
Downhill had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 26, 2020. The film was released on February 14, 2020, replacing Fox's The King's Man, which had been scheduled for that date.
In the United States and Canada, Downhill was released alongside Sonic the Hedgehog, The Photograph and Fantasy Island, and was projected to gross around $4 million from 2,275 theaters in its four-day opening weekend. It made $2.6 million on its first day and $5.2 million over the four days, finishing tenth.
On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 41% based on 116 reviews, with a weighted average of 5.56/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Fittingly named for a remake whose charms are dwarfed by its superior source material, Downhill is frequently -- and frustratingly -- less than the sum of its talented parts." On Metacritic, the film holds a weighted average score of 49 out of 100, based on 36 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews." Audiences polled by CinemaScore gave the film an average grade of "D" on an A+ to F scale, and PostTrak reported it received an average 1 out of 5 stars, with 26% of people saying they would definitely recommend it.
On RogerEbert.com, Nick Allen gave the film 2 out of 4 stars, saying, "It's yet another instance in which it's hard to not think about what could have been, especially since the original did it so much better."
- "Downhill (2020)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved February 16, 2020.
- Vary, Adam B. (January 17, 2020). "Disney Drops Fox Name, Will Rebrand as 20th Century Studios, Searchlight Pictures". Variety.
- Wiseman, Andreas (November 2, 2018). "Will Ferrell Joins Julia Louis-Dreyfus In Fox Searchlight's 'Force Majeure' Remake 'Downhill'; Nat Faxon & Jim Rash To Direct". Deadline Hollywood.
- N'Duka, Amanda (December 13, 2018). "Miranda Otto, Zoë Chao, Zach Woods Join Julia Louis-Dreyfus & Will Ferrell In 'Downhill' At Fox Searchlight". Deadline Hollywood.
- Parlevliet, Mirko (January 10, 2019). "Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Will Ferrell Start Filming Downhill". Vital Thrills.
- Siegel, Tatiana (December 4, 2019). "Sundance Unveils Female-Powered Lineup Featuring Taylor Swift, Gloria Steinem, Abortion Road Trip Drama". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 4, 2019.
- McClintock, Pamela (November 25, 2019). "Julia Louis-Dreyfus and Will Ferrell-Starrer 'Downhill' Lands Valentine's Day Release". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved November 25, 2019.
- Rebecca Rubin (February 12, 2020). "'Sonic' to Speed Past 'Birds of Prey,' 'Fantasy Island' at Box Office". Variety. Retrieved February 13, 2020.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (February 16, 2020). "'Sonic The Hedgehog' Rings Up Record Domestic Videogame Pic Debut Of $57M & 4-Day $68M; Global Launch At $100M". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 16, 2020.
- "Downhill (2020)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango Media. Retrieved February 15, 2020.
- "Downhill reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved February 13, 2020.
- Allen, Nick. "Downhill movie review & film summary (2020) | Roger Ebert". www.rogerebert.com. Retrieved 2020-02-12.