Downtown Records is an American independent record label based in New York City with offices in Los Angeles. Owned and operated by Josh Deutsch and Terence Lam, the roster includes Nick Murphy, Brett Dennen, Electric Guest, Tei Shi, Goldroom, and Tommy Genesis.
The label was co-founded by Josh Deutsch and Terence Lam in 2006 and grew to become Downtown Music with publishing, licensing, music services and Songtrust. In 2013 Downtown Records was purchased outright by its original co-founders and now operates fully independent. The label's music was distributed by Sony Music's RED Distribution and Cooperative Music. It is now distributed by Interscope Records/Universal Music Group.
In addition to the sister label, Mercer Street Records, Downtown has label partnerships with Dim Mak Records, Fool's Gold Records and Mad Decent.
Downtown Records also operates Downtown Events – a festival and concert promotion company that produces The Downtown Music Festival.
Mercer Street Records:
- ^ "Downtown Music's Josh Deutsch Talks 'Harlem Shake' Success, Future Business Plans at SXSW". Billboard. 2013-03-13. Retrieved 2016-07-02.
- ^ "Loud & Proud". RED Music. Retrieved 2016-07-02.
- ^ "UNIVERSAL MUSIC GROUP AND INTERSCOPE RECORDS FORGE MULTITIERED PACT WITH DOWNTOWN RECORDS AS ICONIC LABEL CELEBRATES 10TH ANNIVERSARY". www.universalmusic.com. Retrieved 1 September 2017.
- ^ "Downtown Links with Fontana, Interscope", Harding, Cortney, Billboard, September 5, 2008.
- ^ "Archived copy". Archived from the original on September 27, 2013. Retrieved September 24, 2013.
- ^ Evan Minsker (2013-03-28). "Kendrick Lamar, Earl Sweatshirt, Purity Ring, DIIV, Schoolboy Q to Play Downtown Music Festival". Pitchfork. Retrieved 2016-07-02.
- ^ "Downtown Festival on the Lower East Side". The New York Times. Retrieved 2016-07-02.
- ^ Grizzle, Shereita. "Devin puts pause on dancehall - Deejay targets international market". The Star. Retrieved 23 January 2018.
- ^ "Exclusive: Downtown Records Launches Immortal Music Publishing". Billboard. Retrieved 2017-03-23.