Doxa Drama F.C.
|Full name||Gymnastikos Syllogos Doxa Drama|
|Nickname(s)||Μαυραετοί (Black Eagles)|
|Ground||Doxa Drama Stadium|
|2017–18||Football League, 5th|
During World War I, near the city of Drama, Macedonia, a team of English soldiers who played football regularly in their camp inspired the local Greek population to create the first football club in the region. Founded as Peleus in 1918, the team was renamed Doxa (Glory) in 1919.
Initially, the team colors were black and white with the logo of a black clover. After the war the team's logo was permanently changed to a black eagle, while the team colours of black and white remain until today.
The first formal match of Doxa was against AOK, the team of neighbouring city Kavala. In that first game Doxa won 3–0. Doxa Dramas is one of the founders of the Greek League Alpha Ethniki, the highest tier of Greek club football. Doxa reached the final of the Greek football Cup in 1953/54, 1957/58 and 1958/59, but lost all three finals to Olympiacos.
Doxa Dramas participated in Alpha Ethniki for 21 seasons. Financial and administrative turmoil, however, led to the club being relegated to Greece’s amateur division, Delta Ethniki. In 2008–2009 Doxa had a strong year in the Third Division and clinched the Gamma Ethniki North title with two games to spare. Doxa returned to Beta Ethniki after 11 years for the 2009–2010 season, where the team finished 14th in the regular season and 13th after the Beta Ethniki play-outs.
The stadium of Doxa Drama has a capacity of 9,000 people and it is situated in the western part of the town of Drama, in the district of Komninoi. It was recently renovated. Follow the external links below to see the pictures before and after the renovation.
- As of 14 July 2018
Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
- Greek Cup
- Participation in National Divisions:
- Championship of Eastern Macedonia:1938-39.
- Northern regional group: 1953-54, 1954–55, 1956–57, 1958-59.
- Northern regional group: 1955-56 (3d).
- Northern regional championship: 1957-58.
- National championship: 1956-57 (5th), 1957-58 (7th), 1958-59 (5th).
- 1st Division (A' Ethniki, Alpha Ethniki, Superleague): 1959-60 (6th), 1960-61 (7th), 1961-62 (16th), 1963-64 (11th), 1964-65 (16th), 1979-80 (12th), 1980-81 (9th), 1981-82 (11th), 1982-83 (12th), 1983-84 (11th), 1984-85 (13th), 1985-86 (14th), 1986-87 (14th), 1988-89 (9th), 1989-90 (10th), 1990-91 (8th), 1991-92 (13th), 1992-93 (13th), 1993-94 (15th), 1994-95 (16th), 2011-12 (16th).
- 2nd Division (B' Ethniki, Beta Ethniki, Football League): 1962-63, 1965–66, 1978–79, 1987–88, 1995–96, 2009-10, 2010–11, 2012–13, 2013-14.
- 3rd Division (Γ' Ethniki, Gamma Ethniki): 2003-2004, 2004-2005, 2005–2006, 2006-2007, 2007-2008, 2008–2009, 2014-2015, 2015-16, 2016-17.
- 4th Division (Δ' Ethniki, Delta Ethniki): 1999-2000.
- National amateur division: 2000-01, 2001–02, 2002-03.