Doyle Bramhall II
|Doyle Bramhall II|
|Born||24 December 1968|
|Genres||Blues, Rock and roll, Soul Music|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, Songwriter, Producer|
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, bass, drums|
|Associated acts||Eric Clapton, Roger Waters, Sheryl Crow, Meshell Ndegéocello, Elton John, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Erykah Badu|
Doyle Bramhall II (born 24 December 1968) is an American musician, producer, and songwriter known for his work with Eric Clapton, Roger Waters and many others. He is the son of songwriter and drummer Doyle Bramhall.
Doyle Bramhall II was born in Texas, and lived half of his life in Northern California. His father, Doyle Bramhall, Sr., played drums for legendary bluesmen Lightnin' Hopkins and Freddie King and was a lifelong collaborator with childhood friends Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimmie Vaughan.
When Bramhall was 18, he toured with Jimmie Vaughan's band The Fabulous Thunderbirds. Two years later he co-founded the blues rock band Arc Angels with fellow Austinite Charlie Sexton and members from Stevie Ray Vaughan's rhythm section, Chris Layton and Tommy Shannon. Following the 1999 release of Jellycream, Bramhall's second album and solo debut for RCA, he received phone calls from both Roger Waters and Eric Clapton. Bramhall joined Waters on his In the Flesh tour, playing lead guitar and providing background and lead vocals, replacing Pink Floyd's lead singer and guitarist David Gilmour in the Pink Floyd songs. His performances were recorded on the subsequent live album and DVD, "In the Flesh – Live". Bramhall also played guitar on Clapton's Riding With The King, a collaboration with B.B. King. The album included versions of Clapton's and King's songs, and covers of blues songs—including two tracks from Jellycream.
In 2006, Bramhall (with his band Smokestack) released a live DVD entitled Live at the Great Wall of China. Two audio tracks from the DVD were released on iTunes under the title of "Doyle Bramhall II (Live At the Great Wall of China) - Single."
In addition to collaborating with artists such as T-Bone Burnett, Elton John, Derek Trucks, Susan Tedeschi, Gary Clark, Jr., Gregg Allman, Dr. John, Allen Toussaint, Billy Preston, Erykah Badu, Questlove and Meshell Ndegeocello, Bramhall has produced several records, including Sheryl Crow's 100 Miles from Memphis in 2011. He also joined her on a tour for this album
In 2013, Bramhall completed co-production on Eric Clapton's 2013 release Old Sock, and played guitars on his 2014 release The Breeze: An Appreciation of JJ Cale. He joined Clapton on his 50th anniversary tour as an opening act and backing musician. He appeared at Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival, and was recorded for the subsequent live album and DVD. Bramhall also played lead guitars on Elton John's 2013 album The Diving Board.
In 2015, he joined the Tedeschi Trucks Band and Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings for the "Wheels of Soul" tour across the United States. Also in 2015, he joined the Tedeschi Trucks Band and alumni from the 1970 Joe Cocker Mad Dogs and Englishmen Tour, including Leon Russell, Rita Coolidge, Bobby Torres, Claudia Lennear, Chuck Blackwell, Pamela Polland, Daniel Moore, Matthew Moore, Chris Stainton, and photographer Linda Wolf and in a tribute concert to honor Joe Cocker.
Bramhall is notable as one of the few guitarists who plays with his instrument strung upside-down. He plays left-handed, but the instrument is strung for a right-handed player. This unusual arrangement of the strings gives his playing a unique sound, because he bends the strings by pulling them downwards rather than upwards, the customary approach. Others who have bent strings in this direction include Albert King and the late Canadian blues guitarist Jeff Healey, who played with his instrument flat on his lap for stability and increased string flexibility.
Bramhall is currently working on his fourth solo album.
1988 - Stu Blank - Under The Big Top
1990 - Marc Benno - Take It Back To Texas
1992 - Arc Angels - Arc Angels
1993 - Toni Price - Swim Away
1994 - Doyle Bramhall - Bird Nest On The Ground
1994 - Marc Benno - Snake Charmer
1996 - Doyle Bramhall II - Doyle Bramhall II
1998 - N'Dea Davenport - N'Dea Davenport
1999 - Doyle Bramhall II - Jellycream
1999 - Richie Kotzen - Break It All Down
1999 - Marty Grebb - Smooth Sailin'
1999 - Meshell Ndegéocello - Bitter
2000 - B.B. King & Eric Clapton - Riding with the King
2000 - Roger Waters - In the Flesh – Live
2000 - Circle - Indigenous
2001 - Eric Clapton - Reptile
2001 - Doyle Bramhall II - Welcome
2001 - Jennifer Warnes - The Well
2002 - Sheryl Crow - C'mon C'mon
2002 - Lisa Marie Presley - To Whom It May Concern
2003 - Boyd Tinsley - True Reflections
2003 - Meshell Ndegéocello - Comfort Woman
2003 - Doyle Bramhall - Fitchburg Street
2003 - Jack Casady - Dream Factor
2004 - Eric Clapton - Me and Mr. Johnson
2004 - Eric Clapton - Sessions for Robert J
2004 - C.C. Adcock - Lafayette Marquis
2005 - Eric Clapton - Back Home
2005 - Bettye LaVette - I've Got My Own Hell to Raise
2005 - Susan Tedeschi - Hope and Desire
2005 - Various Artists - Our New Orleans: A Benefit Album for the Gulf Coast
2005 - Nerina Pallot - Fires
2005 - JJ Cale & Eric Clapton - The Road to Escondido
2007 - Doyle Bramhall - Is It News
2007 - Miles Davis - Evolution Of The Groove
2007 - Soundtrack - I'm Not There
2007 - Meshell Ndegéocello - The World Has Made Me the Man of My Dreams
2008 - Michael McDonald - Soul Speak
2008 - Amos Lee - Last Days at the Lodge
2008 - Susan Tedeschi - Back to the River
2008 - Rodney Crowell - Sex and Gasoline
2009 - Taylor Hicks - The Distance
2009 - The Derek Trucks Band - Already Free
2009 - Arc Angels - Living In A Dream
2010 - Robert Randolph and the Family Band - We Walk This Road
2010 - Eric Clapton - Clapton
2010 - Elton John/Leon Russell - The Union
2010 - Sheryl Crow - 100 Miles from Memphis
2011 - Gregg Allman - Low Country Blues
2011 - fDeluxe - Gaslight
2012 - Soundtrack - The Music Of Nashville: Season 1
2012 - Willie Nelson - Heroes
2013 - Tedeschi Trucks Band - Made Up Mind
2013 - Paul Allen & The Underthinkers - Everywhere At Once
2013 - Elton John - The Diving Board
2013 - Eric Clapton - Old Sock
2014 - Eric Clapton - The Breeze: An Appreciation of JJ Cale
2014 - Meshell Ndegéocello - Comet, Come to Me
2014 - Jerry Lee Lewis - Rock & Roll Time
2015 - Buddy Guy - Born to Play Guitar
- Holly George-Warren, Patricia Romanowski, Patricia Romanowski Bashe, Jon Pareles, ed. (2001). The Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll. Fireside.
- Holly George-Warren, Patricia Romanowski, Patricia Romanowski Bashe, Jon Pareles, ed. (2001). The Rolling Stone Encyclopedia of Rock & Roll. Fireside. p. 872.
- "Bramhall II, Doyle". Whereseric.com. 1968-12-24. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "Doyle Bramhall II Live at the Great Wall of China (2006)". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- "iTunes - Music - Doyle Bramhall II (Live At the Great Wall of China) - Single by Doyle Bramhall II". Itunes.apple.com. 2007-11-27. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- "100 Miles from Memphis - Sheryl Crow | Credits". AllMusic. 2010-07-20. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- "100 Miles from Memphis Touring Band". Sherylcrownews.com. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- "Eric Clapton Kicks Off 50th Anniversary Tour With Killer Setlist « Cool Album of the Day". Coolalbumreview.com. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- "Crossroads Guitar Festival 2013: Music". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- "Elton John Finishes New Album, Eyes September Release Date". Billboard. Retrieved 2014-07-11.
- "Wheels of Soul 2015 Tour". Tedeschi Trucks Band. 2015-02-23. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- Browne, David (2015-07-14). "Inside Tedeschi Trucks Band's All-Star Joe Cocker Tribute Concert". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "Doyle Bramhall II Interview : Songwriter/Player/Producer". Guitar.com. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "Jeff Healey's Guitar Gear Rig and Equipment". Uberproaudio.com. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- Doyle Bramhall II Website
- Doyle Bramhall II MySpace Profile
- ARC Angels Official Website
- ARC Angels MySpace Profile