Dr. B. R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology Jalandhar
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015)|
Logo of the National Institute of Technology Jalandhar
Motto in English
|Chairperson||Dr Anil Kakodkar|
|Director||Dr. S Ghosh|
|Location||Jalandhar, Punjab, India|
|Campus||Urban, Spread over 160 acres (0.65 sq.km) on the Amritsar G.T. Road Bye Pass|
The Dr. B. R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology Jalandhar, popularly known as NIT Jalandhar (NITJ), is a public engineering institute located in Jalandhar, Punjab, India. It is one of the youngest of the 20 National Institutes of Technology of India. It was founded as a joint venture between the governments of Punjab and India, originally under the name Punjab Regional Engineering College, Jalandhar (PREC).
Dr. B R Ambedkar National Institute of Technology was established in 1987 as a Regional Engineering College and was given the status of National Institute of Technology (Deemed University) by the Government of India on October 17, 2002, under the aegis of Ministry of Human Resource Development, New Delhi. Subsequently, the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, declared the Institute as “Institute of National Importance” under the act of Parliament-2007.
The admissions to the B.Tech programs run by the institute are very competitive having acceptance ratio nearly 2-3%. Students were admitted on the basis of All India Engineering Entrance Examination (AIEEE) till 2012 but from 2013 the admission are based on Joint Entrance Examination Main (JEE Main) conducted across India.Total seats for B.Tech is 786 for 2011 admissions. Admissions to the MTech programs are by the GATE exam conducted by the IITs and IISc. The postgraduate admission is on the basis of research and interviews by the appropriate screening committees.
The following departments are present. All departments offer courses at undergraduate and postgraduate levels and are actively involved in research in their specific fields.
- Applied Chemistry
- Applied Mathematics
- Applied Physics
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Humanities and Management
- Industrial and Production Engineering
- Information Technology
- Instrumentation and Control Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Textile Technology
The institute is regularly visited by Indian and foreign Multinational corporations for offering jobs to final-year B.Tech and M.Tech students. The ratio of number of students placed to total number is nearly 1:1, with a number of students receiving multiple job offers. Campus Interviews are arranged for the final year B.Tech/ M.Tech/ M.Sc. students. A large number of reputed Industrial houses in the country visit the Institution and select the final year students as Engineers/ Management Trainees. Some of the Companies invite the students to their Corporate Offices for the interviews.
The students of National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar are drawn from all parts of the country. There are seven (plus one extension to hostel number 7) boys' hostels, two girls' hostels and a mega girls' hostel. A mega hostel for boys having capacity of 1600 student is under construction. The facilities of reading room, indoor games, etc. are available in each hostel. Internet facility is provided in every hostel. Other facilities like gysers, water purifiers are provided in all the hostels. The residential accommodation in hostels comprises cubicles and dormitories which have four-seater, two-seater and one-seater facility allotted on the basis of the year and course of study the student is pursuing.
The Institute campus is wide spread over an area of 154 acres. It has many topographical features, various buildings of different nature with clean and wide roads surrounded by a green belt. The campus area has been broadly divided into different functional zones:
- Institution zone for teaching (departments/centers/administration)
- Residential zone for the faculty and staff
- Students’ hostel zone.
Other amenities on the campus include:
- Computer Centre
- Central Library
- Central Workshop
- Central Seminar Hall
- Post Office
- Banks (State Bank of Patiala, Canara Bank)
- Shopping Complex
- Guest House
- Gymnasium Hall
- Open Air Theatre
- Sports Complex
- Students' Activity Centre
- Bus Transport
Under construction buildings:
- M.Sc Department Building
- Mega Boys Hostel
- New Lecture Halls
- Extension of CSH
- Multi Purpose Stadium with 15000 seating capacity
To promote academic and cultural activities in the department, as well as raise awareness about best practices related to the academic domain, each department has a dedicated society:
- Society of Civil Engineers (SocCEr)
- Chemical Engineering Society (CES)
- Professional Association of Computer Engineers (PACE)
- Society of Electronics and Communication Engineers (SOECE)
- Society of Progressive Instrumentation and Control Engineers (SPICE)
- The Industrial Engineers Society (TIES)
- Society of Mechanical Engineers (SOME)
- Textile Engineers Society (TES)
- Society of Bio-Tech Engineers and Researchers (SOBER)
Apart from the above, to make students well aware of their field, there are student chapters of internationally acclaimed societies.
The ASME Student Section is an institute chapter of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. It strives to bring technical competency and excellency among the students of mechanical engineering and of all the disciplines. It actively organizes technical events and web seminars by eminent people throughout the year. It has taken initiative to promote awareness for greener technology, stressing for the need of conserving energy and preserving the ecosystem.
Fests on campus
TechNITi : A techno-management fest that is conducted during the odd semester in mid-September. Participants from all over the country converge for this three-day event, which is usually the highlight of student life on campus. The fest involves events from all the departments, including from robotics, workshops, guest lectures and informals.
Utkansh : A cultural fest that is conducted during the even semester, which aims at drawing out the creative side of the techies on campus. The event is usually a four-day affair that occurs during the end of March. Each day usually has theme-based events; previous themes have included folk, rock, Kavi Sammelan (poets meet), comedy, theater, fusion etc.
The active societies include:
- The Music and Dramatics Society (MADS) brings together music and drama buffs. The society holds the prime responsibility of hosting UTKANSH (the annual cultural fest) as well as BHARAT DHWANI or NIT Day which is celebrated to commemorate national unity as well as the day when the college was upgraded to NIT status from its erstwhile REC tag.
- The Literary and Debating Society (LADS) organises events including quizzes, mock parliaments, devil's advocate, as well as writing competitions. The society holds the prime responsibility for the publication of the institute newsletter, CAPSLOCK, which highlights issues relating to the entire fraternity on campus.
- The Fine Arts Society is for the creative and gifted in arts. It organizes events in painting, pottery and best out of waste, to name a few.
- The Photography Society is for the avid shutterbug. They hold photo contests whose themes have included shadow photography, fashion photography and landscapes of campus.
- The Movie Club organises movie screenings as well as movie-making contests known as IMAGINEERS and advertisement making competitions known as ADGINEERS.
- Rajbhasha Samiti is the society for promotion of the national language. Apart from organizing language-specific writing and speaking contests, it aims to increase the use of the national language in the technical sphere. It bring out an annual Hindi magazine Parikrima.
- PRAYAAS is a student-run club for teaching the poor children of construction workers on campus and slums near the campus. It is also involved in many charitable activities. Siddharth Sharma is the current accountant of the organisation.
- QUEST is a quizzing club. It organises various quizzes and helps spread the quizzing culture in the institute.
- Amit Boni - General Manager India, Motorola Mobility 
- Manav Garg - CEO and Founder, Eka Software Solutions 
- Anupam Varghese - VP, Eko India Financial Services 
- Anindya Ghose - Professor, Stern School of Business 
- Harpreet Singh Bajwa - VP, Welspun Global Brands Limited
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dr. B. R. Ambedkar National Institute of Technology.|