Dr. G.W. Williams Secondary School
|Dr. G.W. Williams Secondary School|
|39 Dunning Avenue
Aurora, Ontario, L4G 1A2
|Motto||Mens sana in corpore sano
(A sound mind in a sound body)
|Founded||1888 (as Aurora High School)|
|School board||York Region District School Board|
|Area trustee||Peter Adams-Luchowski|
|Enrollment||663 (October 2016)|
|Team name||Williams Wildcats|
|Last updated: September 2014|
Dr. G.W. Williams Secondary School is one of five high schools in Aurora, Ontario and is one of two under the jurisdiction of the York Region District School Board. In 2005, there were approximately 1350 students from Grades 9 to 12. However, the enrolled has drastically reduced to 663 students.
The school started in 1888 as Aurora High School in the building formerly occupied by the Wells Street Public School on Wells Street. The current building on Dunning Avenue was opened in 1952. Additions were placed on the Dunning Avenue school in 1956, 1967, and 1998. In 1961 the school was renamed The Dr. G. W. Williams Secondary School in honour of Dr. David Garnet Wolsley Williams, a local medical doctor and former trustee of the school board. The school's chief rival is Aurora High School. G.W. Williams is one of the YRDSB's International Baccalaureate candidate schools.
Events from the past
- Free Hamburger or Hot-dog Day - A large cookoff at the end of the school year before summer break where the Williams Students' Council gives each student either a free hamburger or hot-dog.
The school's football teams are known as the "Wildcats". The team was reformed in 1984 thanks to student and staff (led by Mr. Aitken) efforts. The final season played by the Senior team was in 2011 when they played with approximately a 24 man roster. They went on to win a third YRAA Tier Two Championship over Bill Carothers S.S. As of the 2012 season there is no Senior football team.
- Travis and Dallas Good of indie band The Sadies
- Brian Stemmle - Canadian Alpine Ski Team
- Garth Gibson - Proposed the redundant array of independent disks (RAID) concept along with David Patterson and Randy Katz
- "York Region District School Board - Monthly Enrolment Report" (PDF). York Region District School Board. 12 December 2013. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- "YRDSB Enrolment 2016-17" (PDF).
- "Pages: IB Program". www.yrdsb.ca. Retrieved 2016-11-17.
- Canadian Ski Museum
|This Ontario school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|