Ken Chu (businessman)
|Dr. Ken Chu|
Dr. Ken Chu - Chairman and CEO of Mission Hills Group
|Born||1974 (age 42–43)
|Alma mater||Doctor of law (Hon) (Western University)|
|Known for||CEO and Chairman of Mission Hills Group; Global Member of the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC); National Committee Member of Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC)|
Chu earned his bachelor's degree in Business Administration from University of Western Ontario, Canada. He is also the youngest to receive Honorary Doctorate of Law Degree for his contribution in sports, leisure developments and community services in Hong Kong and China.
After completion of his studies, Chu joined David Chu's, his father, company Mission Hills Group in the year of 1995. He has led his company to turn the uninhabited periphery of Shenzhen and Dongguan into a golf resort with twelve golf courses designed by top professional golf players, three golf clubhouses, three spa centers, two five-star hotels, two golf academies and one country club with Asia's largest tennis facility (fifty-one tennis courts) and one tennis academy. The Guinness World Records listed Mission Hills as the “World’s Largest Golf Club" in the year of 2004. It was also recognized as a 5A Level Tourist Attraction by CNTA (China National Tourism Administration).
In 2008, Chu planned and executed a project with Chinese Government policy makers on Hainan Island, known as Mission Hills Haikou. Mission Hills Haikou opened to public in 2010 with ten golf courses, each incorporating the native lava rock formations, one 518-room five-star hotel, one golf clubhouse, one golf academy, Hainan's only aquatic theme park with 168-pool volcanic mineral springs and one spa center. The Guinness World Records listed Mission Hills Haikou as the "World's Largest Spa & Mineral Springs".
Chu has brought more than one hundred international tournaments to China. He has also introduced the "golf and more" leisure philosophy to Mission Hills' expanding tourism-related businesses. The group's latest development projects include the 500,000 square-meter Mission Hills Centreville and the 330,000 square-meter Mission Hills Lan Kwai Fong - Haikou. These projects feature international hotel brands, such as Ritz Carlton, Renaissance Hotel and Hard Rock Hotel; integrated shopping, entertainment and leisure centers; trendy restaurants, cafes and bars; IMAX cinemas; ice skating rinks; bowling alleys; simulation racing centers; auto showrooms and conference facilities.
The Mission Hills - Huayi Brothers - Feng Xiaogang Movie Town which opened to public on 7 June 2014 in Haikou is a joint venture between Mission Hills, the Chinese film production company, Huayi Brothers and the Chinese film director, Feng Xiaogang. It is a 930,000 square-meter themed town that features six professional movie studios and a variety of dining, entertainment, shopping, cinema, cafe, bar and hotel facilities.
Public & Community Service Appointments
In addition to his duties with Mission Hills, Chu is also a Global Member of the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC), the preeminent forum for global business leaders in travel and tourism industry, and currently serves as National Committee Member of Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC). as well as other appointments, including:
- Standing Committee Member of All-China Youth Federation (ACYF)
- Vice Chairman of China Association of Enterprises with Foreign Investment
- Vice Chairman of Chinese Enterprise Sports Association
- Chairman of China Sportsman (Hong Kong) Union
- Permanent Honorary President of Friends of Hong Kong Association
- Permanent Honorary President of Hong Kong Industry, Commerce & Professional Association
- Honorary Chairman of Hong Kong United Youth Association
- Standing Committee Member of CPPCC Hainan Provincial Committee
- Western University International Advisory Board Member
Chu has been actively involved in Hong Kong and China charity and community services. He takes particular interest in youth groups and activities with the belief that it is crucial to nurture future generations to create a better tomorrow for China and the world. In concert with his passion for youth causes, Chu supports many patriotic initiatives focusing on juniors. Chu is also dedicated to helping fellow countryman in need. Over the years, Mission Hills Group programs have made significant contributions to various charitable endeavors.
- "Chairman and CEO of Mission Hills Group". Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- "Doctorate of Law Degree". Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- "World’s Largest Golf Club". Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- "5A Level Tourist Attraction". Retrieved 31 March 2013.
- "Mission Hills Centreville". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Mission Hills Lan Kwai Fong - Haikou". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "World Travel & Tourism Council - Global Members". Retrieved 1 Oct 2014.
- "Why finding China's first global golf star is simply good business sense". Retrieved 1 Oct 2014.
- "Standing Committee Member of All-China Youth Federation". Retrieved 1 Oct 2014.
- "Honorary Chairman of Hong Kong United Youth Association". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Golf Inc. Most Powerful People in Golf 2014". Golf Inc. 2014-09-01.
- "Tycoon Talk by Sean Lee Davis". TVB. 2014-08-28.
- "The Billionaire building the Chinese Dream". Wealth-X. 2014-07-30.
- "Minds of Millionaires". International Channel Shanghai. 2013-11-12.
- "China Powers Up Its Golf Swing". Wall Street Journal. 2013-10-25.
- "World's Largest Golf Resort & Spa Recognised for Sustainability". Golf Business News. 2013-08-30.
- "Life in the fast lane: Leisure guru Ken Chu on why time is youth". South China Morning Post. 2012-11-09.
- "Chu family still devoted to spreading golf". South China Morning Post. 2012-11-04.
- "Even Yao isn't all that good at golf". China Daily. 2012-06-21.
- "Going for a big drive". China Daily. 2012-05-25.
- "Mission Hills Builds for China's Golf Boom". Wall Street Journal. 2010-06-27.