Dr. Lane Murray Unit
|Location||1916 North Hwy 36 Bypass
Gatesville, Texas 76596
|Security class||G1-G4, Administrative Segregation|
|Managed by||TDCJ Correctional Institutions Division|
Dr. Lane Murray Unit is a women's prison of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice located in Gatesville, Texas. The prison is located on Texas State Highway 36, between Farm to Market Road 215 and Farm to Market Road 929. The 1,317 acres (533 ha) unit, which opened in November 1995, is co-located with the Christina Crain Unit, the Hilltop Unit, the Mountain View Unit, and the Woodman Unit. The unit is named after Dr. Lane Murray who was the first superintendent of the Windham School District
The State of Texas, in 1997, passed a law criminalizing any sexual relations between a prisoner and prison guard after, in the 1990s, prosecutors were unable to have a prison guard at Murray convicted for coercing inmates into sexual interactions. The prison guard stated that the sexual interactions were consensual.
In 2010 the Murray Unit began to host a faith-based dormitory rehabilitation program.
- "Murray Unit Archived July 25, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.." Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Retrieved on May 10, 2010.
- Santo, Alysia (The Marshall Project). "Preying on Texas Prisoners: When Guards Demand Sex." Texas Tribune. June 17, 2015. Retrieved on June 2, 2016. Also at Newsweek as "Texas: The Prison Rape Capital of the U.S."
- Pari, Ursula. "Gatesville Prison Operates 'Faith Dorm' Rehab Program Archived June 11, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.." KSAT-TV. Monday May 3, 2010. Retrieved on May 4, 2010.
- Genene Jones. TDCJ.
- "Epilogue" (). The Texas Cadet Murder Case. Crime Library. Retrieved on December 29, 2015.
- "Murray Unit." Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
- List of prisoners at the Murray Unit - The Texas Tribune
|This article about a United States prison is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a building or structure in Texas is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|