Norman R.C. Campbell
Norman R.C. Campbell is a Professor of Medicine, Community Health Sciences and Physiology and Pharmacology at the University of Calgary and is a member of the O'Brien Institute for Public Health and Libin Cardiovascular Institute of Alberta.
Campbell holds the HSFC CIHR Chair in Hypertension Prevention and Control (2011–2016) and is on the executive of the World Hypertension League as Past President. He seek to improve hypertension control, unhealthy diets and physical inactivity on a national and global scale. He is well known for his work with sodium reduction around the world. He has over 380 publications in peer-reviewed journals and has received several recognitions for his efforts.
Campbell obtained degrees in Medicine and Internal Medicine from Memorial University in Newfoundland where he also completed his Internal Medicine residency. He has spoken at more than 200 conferences worldwide.
Recognitions and awards
- 1995 - Piafsky Young Investigator Award in 1995 from the Canadian Society for Clinical Pharmacology
- 1996 - Distinguished Achievement Award for Education and Research from the University of Calgary Faculty of Medicine
- 2001 - Olser Award from the Canadian Society of Internal Medicine
- 2005 - Distinguished Service Award from the Canadian Society for Clinical Pharmacology
- 2005 - Senior Investigator Award from the Canadian Society of Internal Medicine
- 2007 - Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada Leadership Award in Heart Healthy Policy
- 2009 - Canadian Hypertension Society Distinguished Service Award
- 2013 - Guenter Award for International Health in the Canadian Society for Clinical Pharmacology
- 2013 - JG Fodor award for prevention and control of hypertension from Hypertension Canada
- 2014 - Appointed to the Order of Canada for his contributions as a researcher and public health advocate
- 2014 - Appointed to the Fellowship in the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences
- 2014 - Dr. Howard N. Segall Award of Merit, Canadian Cardiovascular Society
- 2015 - Frederic Newton Gisborne Starr Award, the Canadian Medical Association’s highest honour for physicians
- 2015 - Medal for Distinguished Service from the Alberta Medical Association
- 2015 - HRF Medal of Honour
- 2015 - The University of Calgary named Dr Campbell a Peaks Scholar.
- Dr. Campbell is a member of the Hong Kong International Advisory Panel on reduction of salt and sugar in food (2014–2018).
- He was an International Advisory Board member of the Iran salt reduction program, WHO Iranian office and Ministry of Health of Iran (2014).
- He was a member of the Ministry of Health of Iran International advisory member on hypertension control in 2013-2014.
- He was an external consultant to the Blood Pressure Programme for Public Health England in 2014.
- His expertise has also taken him to India and Russia to discuss treatment and prevention of hypertension.