Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Krishi Vidyapeeth
|Established||October 20, 1969|
|Vice-Chancellor||Dr R G Dani|
|Location||Akola, Maharashtra, India|
Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Krishi Vidyapeeth (PDKV or PKV) is an agricultural university located at Akola, in Maharashtra, India, in the Vidarbha region. The University is entrusted with the responsibility of agricultural education, research and extension education along with breeder and foundation seed programmes. Its jurisdiction includes all eleven districts of Vidarbha namely Akola, Amravati, Bhandara, Buldhana, Chandrapur, Gadchiroli, Gondia, Nagpur, Washim and Yavatmal.
The Central Campus is at Akola while the another major campus is at Nagpur. A new campus has been established at Garchiroli. The details about university can be found at University Website www.pdkv.ac.in
In the mid 1960s, Maharashtra government decided to establish Agricultural Universities. One such location was at Akola in Vidarbha, where there was already a functioning Agriculture college since 1905. However, leaders from Western Maharashtra prevailed on the Maharashtra government to shift it Rahuri in Western Maharashtra. As a result, Government of Maharashtra shifted the State Agril. University to Rahuri in Western Maharashtra by end of 1966. This led to an inprecedented student protest in Akola, and provoked an angry response from citizens of Vidarbha, who viewed it as one more act of discrimination against them. It may be remembered that on November 1, 1956, a part of Madhya Pradesh consisting of 8 districts of Vidarbha had been merged against the local people's wishes and the recommendations of the States Reorganisation Commission into the erstwhile State of Bombay, which was later transformed in the State of Maharashtra on May 1, 1960. The people of Vidarbha resented this merger, and saw the shifting of the Agriculture Iniversity from Akola to Rahuri as an act of deliberate discrimination and favouritism. On 17 August 1967 in Akola, thousands of people demonstrated against this government's decision finally resulting in of the massive violent agitation of the Students in which 9 students were shot dead by the police. The agitation ended after the government of Maharashtra relented not to shift the Agricultural University to Rahuri. The agitation also marks the beginning of Jambuvantrao Dhote's period in Vidarbha's statehood struggle. Finally the Agricultural University at Akola was started on 20 October 1969. It was named after the illustrious son of Vidarbha Dr. Panjabrao (alias Bhausaheb) Deshmukh, who was the Minister for Agriculture, Government of India, as Panjabrao Krishi Vidyapeeth. It was renamed as Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Krishi Vidyapeeth from 15 November 1995.
College of Agriculture, Nagpur located in heartland of the city is one of the 5 oldest Agriculture colleges that started in 1905.
The University has over a total 3425 hectares of cultivable land under its possession for conducting various research, field trials in addition to seed multiplication programme. This university covers the need of a wide range of climatic zones varying from Wet Humid Rice zone of East gradually ending with Arid Cotton and Millet Zone of west. Similarly its Northern districts form southern limit for wheat cultivation in India. In the past this university has made significant contribution to research work especially in cotton (PKV-2 cotton hybrid), sorghum (kharif hybrids), pulses (TAU- series of Black gram), oilseed (TAG-24 Groundnut variety; few linseed varieties), watershed management, dryland management, Mandarin orange cultivation.
- 20 Research stations
- 24 All India Co-ordinated Projects
- 16 ad-hoc schemes are under operation
- 28 Non Plan and 2 Plan Research Projects
- Biotechnology Centre
- Nagarjuna Medicinal and Aromatic Plant park
- Biodiversity Park
- Maharajbagh Zoo *(1)
Agricultural Research Stations
- Central Research Station: Akola
- Central Trial Campus, Vani Rambhapur, Akola
- National Agril Res. Project, Yavatmal
- National Agril Res. Project, Sindewahi, District Chandrapur; Paddy Research Station
- Kharif Cereal and Pulse Research and Training Project: Mhali, Amgaon Dist- Gondia
- Regional Research Centre, Amravati
- Agri. Research Station, Sonapur Dist. Gadchircoli
- Agri. Research Station, Washim
- Agri. Research Station, Achalpur Dist- Amravati
- Agri. Research Station, Buldana
- Agri. College Campus, Nagpur
- Regional Fruit Research Station Katol Dist Nagpur
- Agri. Research Station, Tharsa Dist. Nagpur
- Agri. Research Station, Sakoli
- Agril Ressearch Station, NavegaonBan Dist- Bhandara
- Agril Ressearch Station, Patur Road, Akola
- Betelwine Research Station, Ramtek
- Agril Ressearch Station, Kutki, tal-hinganghat, Dist-Wardha
- Agril Ressearch Station, Ekarjuna Dist. Chandrapur
- Betelwine Research Station: Akot Dist. Akola:
PDKV grants Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral degrees in Agricultural Sciences and Agricultural Engineering & Technology. Admission to all the degree, Post Graduate and Doctorate degree programmes are made through MCAER, Pune. New College of Agriculture has been opened at Gadchiroli, a tribal district. There are also five agriculture schools for lower education located at Buldana, Hiwara, Mul-Maroda, Nimbi, Sawangi and Warud. recently under the grant of Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Krushi Vidhyapeeth running new college Vasantrao Naik College of Agriculture and Biotechnology, at Yavatmal.
Dr. Panjabrao Deshmukh Agriculture University has several departments with its intent to provide the best current knowledge needed by farmers. The university is always trying to provide highly reputed education, research and extension with the departments.
- Plant Pathology
- Agriculture Entomology
- Agriculture Botany (Genetics and plant Breeding, Crops Physiology, Seeds Technology, Agriculture Biotechnology)
- Soil Science
- Agriculture Economics and statistic
- Extension Education
- Animal husbandry and Dairy science
Director of student welfare has to look after the following activities for the welfare of students. To promote and develop various sports, game and co-curricular activities amongst students at the university level To promote the sportsman spirit and to organize inter Collage tournament within the jurisdiction of the university. To conduct inter university tournaments behalf of the inter University Sports Board, New Delhi/Inter Agriculture University Sports Board /Inter State University Tournament (Ashwamegh). To organize campus interviews of the different firms, industries, seed and pesticides companies, banks, ets .for the placement of students. The University has established a Dr.Panjabrao Deshmukh Competitive Forum (Dr. PDCF) to extend the facilities to the students for guidance and preparation of different competitive examination.
Imparting of extension education is one of the mandatory functions of the University. The university has 11 Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVK), which undertake training and demonstrations for the benefit of farmers. It also has a Training and Visit Scheme (T&V) at Nagpur, Sindewahi and Yavatmal.
The Directorate of Extension Education of the University has been recognized by the Ministry of Agriculture, Govt. of India, as the Center of Excellence for imparting training on Dryland Agriculture Technology.
Institution Village Linkage Program (IVLP): The pilot project on technology assessment and refinement through IVLP sponsored by ICAR,New Delhi is being implemented by the University in the village Gorwha, Taluka Barshitakli, District Akola, since 1995.
RG Dani (a distinguished Plant breeder and Geneticist) joined as a Vice Chancellor (VC) of this University on Aug 2012 for a term of five years.
Former Vice Chancellors in chronological order are as given below:
Previous Vice Chancellors
- Late L.N. Bongirwar (1-7-1969 to 9-10-1972) was the first Vice Chancellor.
- Late N. Gopalkrishna (10-10-1972 to 1-6-1978) specialization in Horticulture; Previously Horticulturist to the Government of Bombay
- D.N. Kapoor (2-6-1978 to 2-7-1978)additional charge
- Late B.A. Chougule (3-7-1978 to 15-4-1981); specialization in the field of Agricultural Chemistry
- S.P. Upasani (16-4-1981 to 10-6-1981) additional charge
- V.S. Gopalkrishna (11-6-1981 to 13-8-1981)additional charge
- S. Rama Krishna (14-8-1981 to 12-2-1982)additional charge
- K.R. Thakare (13-2-1981 to 15-12-1985); specialization in Entomology
- Dr. V.T. Rahate (16-12-1985 to 15-6-1986) additional charge
- Late H.B. Ulemale (16-6–1986 to 30-4-1990); Specialization in Agricultural Economics
- Late P.W. Amin (1-5-1990 to 30-4–1993); (expired 2006); specialization in Entomology. Earlier worked at ICRISAT. http://agropedia.iitk.ac.in/openaccess/sites/default/files/RA%2000006.pdf
- B.G. Bhatkal (1-5-1993 to 30-4–1996); specialization in the field of Agronomy
- G.M. Bharad (1-5-1996 to 16-5–1999); specialization in the field of Watershed Management
- M.L. Madan (17-5-1999 to 16-5–2002); specialization in the field of Animal Husbandry
- S.A. Nimbalkar (17-5-2002 to 3-7–2007); specialization in the field of Entomology
- V.M. Mayande (4-7-2007 to 3-7-2012); specialization in the field of Agril. Engineering
- R.G. Dani (14-08-2012 to present); specialization in the field of Genetics
For last few years there have been controversies regarding selection of staff. These were investigated and found correct as per recommendations of Justice Dhabe commission and the Ganesh Thakur committee. As per their recommendations few staff were removed or placed back to their original positions.