Dr. Ramune: Mysterious Disease Specialist
|Written by||Aho Toro|
|Original run||September 26, 2017 – February 22, 2021|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Hideaki Ōba|
|Written by||Ayumu Hisao|
|Music by||Tetsurō Oda|
|Original network||Tokyo MX, BS11|
|Original run||January 10, 2021 – March 28, 2021|
Dr. Ramune: Mysterious Disease Specialist (Japanese: 怪病医ラムネ, Hepburn: Kaibyōi Ramune) is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Aho Toro. The manga was serialized in Kodansha's Monthly Shōnen Sirius magazine from September 2017 to July 2018, before being transferred to Magazine Pocket manga app in August 2018 and finished in February 2021. The manga is licensed in North America by Kodansha USA. An anime television series adaptation by Platinum Vision aired from January to March 2021.
- Ramune (ラムネ)
- Voiced by: Yūma Uchida
- Kuro (クロ)
- Voiced by: Takuma Nagatsuka
- Ayame (彩芽)
- Voiced by: Kana Ueda
- Nico (丹己)
- Voiced by: Nobuhiko Okamoto
- Momiji (紅葉)
- Voiced by: Junichi Suwabe
Dr. Ramune: Mysterious Disease Specialist is written and illustrated by Aho Toro. The manga was serialized in Kodansha's Monthly Shōnen Sirius from September 26, 2017, to July 26, 2018. The series was then transferred to Kodansha's Magazine Pocket manga app on August 31, 2018. It finished on February 22, 2021. Kodansha collected its chapters in five tankōbon volumes, released from April 9, 2018, to March 9, 2021.
|No.||Original release date||Original ISBN||English release date||English ISBN|
|1||April 9, 2018||978-4-06-511047-8||November 17, 2020||978-1-64-659805-2|
|2||September 7, 2018||978-4-06-512660-8||December 15, 2020||978-1-64-659864-9|
|3||August 8, 2019||978-4-06-516860-8||January 19, 2021||978-1-64-659915-8|
|4||December 9, 2020||978-4-06-521576-0||April 20, 2021||978-1-63-699058-3|
|5||March 9, 2021||978-4-06-522611-7||September 21, 2021||978-1-63-699366-9|
In September 2020, it was announced that the series would receive an anime television series adaptation. The series is produced by Platinum Vision and directed by Hideaki Ōba. Ayumu Hisao is in charge of the series' scripts and Youko Satou is in charge of the characters designs. Tetsurō Oda is composing the series' music. The series aired from January 10 to March 28, 2021, on Tokyo MX and BS11. Crunchyroll is streaming the series outside of Asia. Muse Communication licensed the series in Southeast Asia and South Asia and is streaming it on their Muse Asia YouTube channel. The opening theme song is "SHAKE！SHAKE！SHAKE！" performed by Yūma Uchida, while the ending theme song is "Arcacia" (アルカシア, "Arukashia") performed by saji.
|No.||Title [a]||Directed by ||Written by ||Original air date |
Transcription: "Chōmiryō no Namida" (Japanese: 調味料の涙)
|Hideaki Ōba||Ayumu Hisao||January 10, 2021|
|Mysterious disease" is a disease caused by “mysterious” existence. Koto-chan, who has mayonnaise coming out of her eyes, comes to Ramune, a doctor specializing in such diseases which can’t be explained by current medical science. She is brought there by Kuro, Ramune’s disciple. Ramune offers a mysterious tool to heal Koto, who also confesses more seasoning comes out of her eyes in addition to mayonnaise.|
|2||"The Chikuwa Penis"|
Transcription: "Chikuwa no Inkei" (Japanese: 竹輪の陰茎)
|Takashi Kobayashi||Ayumu Hisao||January 17, 2021|
|Kengo, a young man whose penis has become a chikuwa, visits Ramune. He believes Kengo already knows the cause behind it, but Kengo refuses to admit it. Ramune gives a mysterious tool to Kengo who begs for temporary fix instead of a proper treatment. Kengo uses Ramune's tool and goes on a date with a woman named Yumi, but then something unexpected happens...|
|3||"Mysterious Item Shop Akatsuki"|
Transcription: "Kaigu-ya Akatsuki" (Japanese: 怪具屋あかつき)
|Norihiko Nagahama||Ayumu Hisao||January 24, 2021|
|Kuro is asked by Ramune to come to a place called “Mysterious Tool Shop Akatsuki”. From the outside, it looks like an antique shop. But on the inside, they’re selling “mysterious tools”. Kuro is curious about the making of “mysterious tools” after getting acquainted with the shop owner, Nico, and his great-grandmother, Ayame, a 112-year-old who appears as a little girl. Suddenly, a strange man appears before all of them.|
|4||"Chili Pepper Fingertips"|
Transcription: "Tōgarashi no Yubisaki" (Japanese: 唐辛子の指先)
|Hideaki Ōba||Ayumu Hisao||January 31, 2021|
|Takaharu, a high school student whose fingertips turn into chilis, come to Ramune for consultation. Takaharu seems to know why he is possessed by a “mysterious” thing. Ramune lends Takaharu a “mysterious” tool called “Pouch-Wrapped Nail Clipper" which can only be used once Takaharu reveals his true self|
|5||"Pot Sticker Ears (Part One)"|
Transcription: "Gyōza no Mimi Zenpen" (Japanese: 餃子の耳・前編)
|Takashi Kobayashi||Ayumu Hisao||February 7, 2021|
|There's a boy named Rio who regularly visits the shrine. His mother has a "mysterious disease" which makes her ears turn into gyoza. The mother says she has no clue as to the possible cause, and she is confused as to why she can’t hear certain voices-- including Rio’s. Ramune points out she may need to consider the state of her mental health as well. What kind of treatment will Ramune prescribe to his patient this time?|
|6||"Pot Sticker Ears (Part Two)"|
Transcription: "Gyōza no Mimi Kōhen" (Japanese: 餃子の耳・後編)
|Norihiko Nagahama||Ayumu Hisao||February 14, 2021|
|Rio learns that her mother's ears turned into gyoza because she refuses to accept the reality that her eldest son, Yuu, has disappeared. Feeling responsible for everything, Rio attempts to find Yuu, but accidentally falls off a cliff. Ramune manages to rescue him, only to get injured himself as a result. To save Ramune, Rio decides to use "Night’s Voice Pearl" as he desperately hopes his mother will finally listen to his voice.|
|7||"Popcorn Head (Part One)"|
Transcription: "Atama Kara Poppukōn Zenpen" (Japanese: 頭からポップコーン・前編)
|Takashi Kobayashi||Ayumu Hisao||February 21, 2021|
|Kuro’s classmate, Aona, has a problem about popcorn popping out of his head and immediately disappearing. To cheer him up, Ramune lends him “’Mysterious Things’ Storage Pouch” so that Aona is able to store the popcorn. Ramune also asks Aona to consider why the popcorn pop out of his head and why he is always sad when the popcorn disappear. Once Aona figures out the answers, he will be able to find the way to cure his “mysterious disease” by himself.|
|8||"Popcorn Head (Part Two)"|
Transcription: "Atama Kara Poppukōn Kōhen" (Japanese: 頭からポップコーン・後編)
|Norihiko Nagahama||Ayumu Hisao||February 28, 2021|
|The reason why popcorn pop out of Aona’s head is because his father bans him from pursuing handcrafting. Worried about Aona’s condition, Kuro sees Aona’s mother in the hospital to find the truth and help Aona. Meanwhile, Aona releases the “Mysterious Things’ Storage Pouch” to the sky which prompt Kuro and Ramune to retrieve it.|
Transcription: "Kai Kai Meikyū" (Japanese: 怪廻迷宮)
|Hideaki Ōba||Ayumu Hisao||March 7, 2021|
|Ramune receives a treasure hunt invitation from Reinette, a famous “mysterious” tool craftsman, and decides to go to Reinette’s mansion with Kuro. Ayame and Nico are also invited to find the treasure. But, there’s also another person who is invited whose presence suddenly makes Ramune’s face frozen. That person is Momiji, Ramune’s master!|
|10||"Toru's Deeply Mysterious Story - Part One"|
Transcription: "Tōru Shin Kai Monogatari Zenpen" (Japanese: トール深怪物語・前編)
|Norihiko Nagahama||Ayumu Hisao||March 14, 2021|
|Since he was little, Kuro can see something what other people can't see. One day, he was taken to the psychiatric clinic, but he lied to make his family stop worrying. Over the years, his strange vision had remained the same. Making things complicated, Kuro started vomiting sand. Feeling desperate, he looked for any place that could cure his strange vision-- until a certain doctor showed up|
|11||"Toru's Deeply Mysterious Story - Part Two"|
Transcription: "Tōru Shin Kai Monogatari Kōhen" (Japanese: トール深怪物語・後編)
|Takashi Kobayashi||Ayumu Hisao||March 21, 2021|
|Kuro believes that he doesn’t vomit sand anymore because of the purification from High Priest. Meanwhile, High Priest locks Kuro up and forces him to commit fasting as a form of ‘training’. Concerned about Kuro’s condition, Ramune uses a “mysterious” tool to save Kuro. Will Kuro finally accept Ramune’s help? And, will Ramune be able to save Kuro from his “mysterious” disease?|
|12||"Dr. Ramune -Mysterious Disease Specialist-"|
Transcription: "Kaibyōi Ramune" (Japanese: 怪病医ラムネ)
|Hideaki Ōba||Ayumu Hisao||March 28, 2021|
|It’s the final day of Kuro’s check-up. As his doctor, Ramune decides that Kuro is completely cured. Kuro asks Ramune if he should continue meeting him despite his recovery. While Ramune still wishes to have Kuro around as his disciple, Momiji’s warning to him about keeping a distance from his patients has him conflicted. This time around, it’s Kuro’s turn to help his doctor!|
- "Dr. Ramune -Mysterious Disease Specialist-, Volume 1". Kodansha USA. Retrieved October 31, 2020.
- Loo, Egan (September 5, 2020). "Dr. Ramune Mysterious Disease Specialist Manga Gets January 2021 TV Anime". Anime News Network. Retrieved September 6, 2020.
- Sherman, Jennifer (October 19, 2020). "Dr. Ramune -Mysterious Disease Specialist- Anime Reveals Video, More Cast, Song". Anime News Network. Retrieved October 19, 2020.
- Mateo, Alex (November 11, 2020). "Dr. Ramune: Mysterious Disease Specialist Anime Casts Junichi Suwabe". Anime News Network. Retrieved November 11, 2020.
- 少女の目からマヨネーズ？“怪病”の専門医描くファンタジーがシリウスで始動. Natalie (in Japanese). September 26, 2017. Retrieved September 6, 2020.
- 月刊少年シリウス 2018年9月号 [2018年7月26日発売] (in Japanese). Amazon. July 26, 2018. Retrieved September 6, 2020.
- 月刊少年シリウス編集部 [@shonen_sirius] (July 26, 2018). [移籍情報] #月刊少年シリウス９月号#怪病医ラムネ が８月３１日より #マガジンポケット へ移籍します (Tweet) (in Japanese). Retrieved June 14, 2020 – via Twitter.
- Mateo, Alex (March 5, 2021). "Dr. Ramune: Mysterious Disease Specialist Manga Ends". Anime News Network. Retrieved March 5, 2021.
- 怪病医ラムネ（１） (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved September 6, 2020.
- 怪病医ラムネ（５） (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved March 18, 2021.
- Hazra, Adriana (October 9, 2020). "Kodansha Comics Licenses Peach Boy Riverside, Dr. Ramune, More Manga". Anime News Network. Retrieved October 10, 2020.
- 怪病医ラムネ（２） (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved September 6, 2020.
- "Dr. Ramune -Mysterious Disease Specialist-, Volume 2". Kodansha USA. Retrieved October 31, 2020.
- 怪病医ラムネ（３） (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved September 6, 2020.
- "Dr. Ramune -Mysterious Disease Specialist-, Volume 3". Kodansha USA. Retrieved March 18, 2021.
- 怪病医ラムネ（4） (in Japanese). Kodansha. Retrieved January 1, 2021.
- "Dr. Ramune -Mysterious Disease Specialist-, Volume 4". Kodansha USA. Retrieved March 18, 2021.
- "Dr. Ramune -Mysterious Disease Specialist-, Volume 5". Kodansha USA. Retrieved August 10, 2021.
- 阿呆トロ「怪病医ラムネ」TVアニメ化！“怪病医”役を内田雄馬、その弟子役に永塚拓馬. Natalie (in Japanese). September 6, 2020. Retrieved September 6, 2020.
- Hodgkins, Crystalyn (December 7, 2020). "Dr. Ramune: Mysterious Disease Specialist Anime's 2nd Promo Video Reveals January 9 Debut". Anime News Network. Retrieved December 7, 2020.
- Hazra, Adriana (January 5, 2021). "Muse Asia Announces Winter 2021 Simulcast Schedule". Anime News Network. Retrieved January 18, 2021.
- "Ongaku｜Terebi Anime "Kaibyōi Ramune" Kōshiki Saito" 音楽｜TVアニメ「怪病医ラムネ」公式サイト [Music｜TV Anime "Dr. Ramune -Mysterious Disease Specialist-" Official Website]. ramune-anime.com (in Japanese). Archived from the original on January 1, 2021. Retrieved January 1, 2021.
- "Sutōrī｜Terebi Anime "Kaibyōi Ramune" Kōshiki Saito" ストーリー｜TVアニメ「怪病医ラムネ」公式サイト [Story｜TV Anime "Dr. Ramune -Mysterious Disease Specialist-" Official Website]. ramune-anime.com (in Japanese). Archived from the original on September 29, 2020. Retrieved September 29, 2020.
- "Dr. Ramune -Mysterious Disease Specialist- - Watch on Crunchyroll". Crunchyroll. Archived from the original on January 9, 2021. Retrieved January 9, 2021.
- "Hōsō Jōhō｜Kaibyōi Ramune｜Anime｜Tōkyō Emu Ekkusu" 放送情報｜怪病医ラムネ｜アニメ｜TOKYO MX [Broadcast Information｜Dr. Ramune -Mysterious Disease Specialist-｜Anime｜Tokyo MX]. Tokyo MX (in Japanese). Archived from the original on January 16, 2021. Retrieved January 16, 2021.
- Dr. Ramune: Mysterious Disease Specialist official manga website at Pocket Shōnen Magazine (in Japanese)
- Dr. Ramune: Mysterious Disease Specialis official anime website (in Japanese)
- Dr. Ramune: Mysterious Disease Specialist (manga) at Anime News Network's encyclopedia