Dr. William Gifford House
Dr. William Gifford House
The Gifford House in October 2010
|Location||3047 Prospect Ave., Cleveland, Ohio, United States|
|Architect||W. W. Sabin|
|Architectural style||Tudor Revival|
|MPS||Upper Prospect MRA|
|NRHP Reference #||84000228|
|Added to NRHP||November 1, 1984|
The Dr. William Gifford House is a historic Tudor Revival house in Cleveland, Ohio, United States. Located east of downtown, the house sits in a neighborhood of historic houses and is a part of the Upper Prospect Multiple Resource Area. It was designed by Cleveland architect William W. Sabin and built in about 1901. The Gifford House is actually atypical of Sabin's style: working in Cleveland from 1888 to 1923, he is known better as a designer of large public buildings, especially churches (including the First Church of Christ in Euclid, also listed on the National Register) and police stations.
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on November 1, 1984, primarily because it was a "property that embodies the distinctive characteristics of a type, period, or method of construction or represents the works of a master, or possess high artistic values, or represents a significant and distinguishable entity." The house retains its historic appearance with brick and stucco walls and the half timbers typical of the Tudor Revival style of architecture.
Unlike other neighborhood houses listed on the National Register, some of which are now offices, the Gifford House remains a residence. It has been owned and used as a fraternity house since 1960 by the Delta Epsilon chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon, which includes students from the nearby Cleveland State University. In December 2011, a planned renovation of the house received an Ohio Historic Preservation Tax Credit. It will be renovated as offices for Ziska Architecture and one apartment.
- National Park Service (2008-04-15). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Gifford, Dr. William, House, Ohio Historical Society, 2007. Accessed 2008-12-25.
- William W Sabin, Cleveland Architects Database, Cleveland Landmarks Commission. Accessed 2008-12-25.
- Profile for Elizabeth Kelley, L.P.A. Inc. Archived October 6, 2011, at the Wayback Machine., MediationWeek. Accessed 2008-12-25.
- Address Archived December 22, 2007, at the Wayback Machine. and About Us Archived December 22, 2007, at the Wayback Machine., TG Embedded Systems, 2003. Accessed 2008-12-25.
- History, ΔΕ, 2003. Accessed 2008-12-25.
- "Ohio Department of Development Announces Round 7 Ohio Historic Preservation Tax Credit Awards" (Press release). Ohio Department of Development. December 22, 2011. Archived from the original on May 30, 2012. Retrieved January 1, 2012.