Dr Norman Bethune Collegiate Institute
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Dr. Norman Bethune Collegiate Institute|
Confident, stylish, and charming
|200 Fundy Bay Blvd.
Steeles, Toronto, Ontario, M1W 3G1
|School type||Public High school|
|School board||Toronto District School Board
(Scarborough Board of Education)
|Area trustee||Manna Wong|
|School number||4116 / 937592|
|Colour(s)||Gold, Green,White and Red|
|Mascot||Normy the Bear|
|Team name||Bethune Bears|
Dr. Norman Bethune Collegiate Institute (also known as Dr. Norman Bethune Collegiate Institute,BCI, Dr. Norman Bethune CI, or Bethune) is a high school in Toronto, located in the northwest part of Scarborough. It was founded in 1979 and named after Norman Bethune. The school is attended by over 1300 students, most of whom speak a primary language other than English, the language of instruction. Bethune is also partners with the neighboring senior's homes: Mon Sheong and Tendercare, and with Beijing #15 High School in Beijing, China.
Students taking Modern Language classes are offered opportunities, including outings to French and Spanish movies, theatre productions and restaurants. Senior students may travel abroad to France and Spain. Bethune students receive excellent results in French and Spanish Contests as well as the Concours D'Art Oratiore (French Public Speaking).
- Math:General Math 9-11, Data management, Advance Functions, Calculus
Students can choose from visual art, photography, computer art, dramatic arts vocal music, and repertoire instrumental music and strings. Outside the classroom, students can join the art club, the drama club, or the music council.
The school's T-Wing features a woodshop, an autoshop, and an electronics lab. The school also has a computer lab. Students may participate by choosing technology courses or by joining the many clubs involving the technology department. These clubs the Robotics Club, Computer Science Club, or Electronics Club.
- Stellar Program
The Stellar Program is an enrichment program for grade 9 and 10 in Math and Science.
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
Bethune's ESL program features field trips that promote Canadian culture and experiential learning. The semestered program has 5 levels in addition to ESL sensitive courses in Geography and History. Bilingual classroom helpers, full-time settlement workers, peer mentor programs, the Chinese Association, and the Newcomer Orientation Week in August help to ease the transition to Canada and to Bethune. In addition to after-school and week-end support classes, OSSLT preparation classes and peer-tutoring support ESL students throughout the year.
- Individual Education Plan (IEP)
A variety of special education programs and services are offered to meet the needs of all students, including students with exceptionalities, such as behavioural, communication, intellectual, physical and multiple learning disabilities. Students' exceptionalities are identified through a formal review process undertaken by an Identification, Placement and Review Committee (IPRC).
Student Leadership Groups
The Student Leadership Council at Bethune consists of organizers and committed students:
- The Student Administrative Council (SAC) coordinates extra-curricular activities within the school
- Bethune Blaze is the technology team at Bethune that is in charge of audio-visual productions.
- The Bethune ESL Mentor program helps newcomers with English and adaptation to Canada and provide mentorship in academic studies.
- The Bethune REPS are the prefects and representatives of Bethune
- The ABC is the Athletic Bears Council and organizes all athletic events within the school.
- The Bethune Journal is the school newspaper that delivers current news and opinion columns every few months.
- The Bethune Music Council (BMC) is responsible for organizing events related to the music program at Bethune, such as winter and spring retreats and various band trips.
- The Bethune Environmental Action Team (BEAT) works to spread awareness about pro-environmental ideas and has helped Bethune become a Platinum Certified Eco-school.
- The Bethune Environmental Action Team will not apply for 2013 Platinum Eco-Schools Certification because of Bill 115 that has now been passed (Putting Students First Act).
- DECA is an association for Bethune's business students and competes in various business simulation competitions.
A variety of sports are offered through different seasons. Students may choose to participate in a maximum of 2 sports per season.
- DECA Regionals, Provincials, and ICDC
- ICDC 2013 - 10 Bethune students were finalists
- Mathematics Competitions:
- Euclid Contest, Fermat Contest, Pascal Contest, Cayley contest, Fryer, Galois & Hypatia Contests, Canadian Open Mathematics Challenge, Purple Comet! Math Meet, Beaver Computing Challenge
- Music Competitions:
- MusicFest Canada, Ontario Band Association Festival, Ontario Vocal Festival, Georgian Bay Regional Musicfest, GTA Musicfest Jazz Festival
- Science Competitions:
- Sir Isaac Newton Physics, O.A.P.T. Physics Contest, Avogadro Chemistry Competition, Chem 13 Contest, National Biology Competition
- Computer and Technology Competitions:
- Canadian Computing Competition, ECCO Computing Competition, DWITE Computing Competition, FIRST Robotics Competition, F1 in Schools, Skills Canada
Notable Awards given to the school and the students in it
- Platinum Certified Eco-school
- Dr. Bette M. Stephenson Recognition of Achievement
- Zildjian Outstanding Percussion Section Award
- I. Keith Mann Outstanding Band Director Award
|This section does not cite any sources. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Steve Chao, journalist for CTV News
- Jay Manuel, makeup artist, fashion photographer and creative director of the America's Next Top Model and Canada's Next Top Model TV shows
- Dwayne Morgan, spoken word artist
- Mike Ricci, retired ice hockey player
- Kevin Weekes, professional ice hockey player for the National Hockey League and CBC Sports commentator
- Nick Kypreos, retired Canadian professional ice hockey and hockey analyst.
- David Morland IV, professional golf player.
- Arnold Chan, Member of Parliament for Scarborough-Agincourt
- "Facts and Figures". Dr Norman Bethune CI. Toronto District School Board. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- "Current School Profile" (PDF). Dr Norman Bethune CI. Toronto District School Board. Retrieved 2007-12-26.
- "Pair 3 Contact Information". China-Canada Sister School Network. China-Canada Sister School Network. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- "Dr. Bette M. Stephenson Recognition of Achievement". EQAO. Education Quality and Accountability Office. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- "Zildjian Outstanding Percussion Section Award". MusicFest Canada. MusicFest Canada. Retrieved 2012-05-21.
- "I. Keith Mann Outstanding Band Director Award". MusicFest Canada. MusicFest Canada. Retrieved 2013-04-30.