This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Sidney Onoriode Esiri|
|Also known as||Dr SID|
|Born||1 May 1980|
|Genres||Afro Pop, Afro hip-hop, Afrobeats|
|Labels||Trybe Records, Mo' Hits Records, Mavin Records|
|Associated acts||D'banj, Mo' Hits Allstars, Don Jazzy, Wande Coal, Tiwa Savage, Lynxxx|
Sidney Onoriode Esiri (born 1 May 1980 in Ikeja, Lagos state, Nigeria), known commonly as, Dr SID is a Nigerian singer-songwriter and dentist. He is an Urhobo from Delta state but raised in Lagos. His mother a successful fashion designer and his father the legendary actor Justus Esiri who is a Member of the Order of the Niger (MON), and famous for his role as the Village Headmaster a Nigerian sitcom popular in the 1980s. The second child of 4 children from an early age he had his heart set on becoming an entertainer. However his life took a different course graduating from the Nigerian Air force Secondary school ikeja, SID went on to the University of Ibadan (UI) to study Dental Surgery, During his school years his flair for entertainment could not be hidden as he took part in school plays, dance competitions and concerts winning numerous awards along the way.
Dr SID signed on to a fresh new record label Trybe Records (who released the Nigerian hip hop group Trybesmen) as a choreographer. He would spend the next three years touring as a backup dancer for the Trybesmen.
Dr SID got his chance in front of the mic, when he was made a member of Da Trybe, and given a spot on the song that caused a revolution in Nigerian Hip-hop, "OYA" in 2002 alongside Sasha, 2-Shotz, Timi, DEL, and the Trybesmen (Eldee, Kb and Freestyle). Over the next year SID recorded his Debut Single "Don't Stop" and had the number 1 video on the MBI top ten for 8 weeks, His music career had to be put on hold as he had to take a year out to finish up his university degree.
Dr SID became a qualified Dentist. He moved to the UK working with the likes of JJC & the 419 squad, Felix Duke, KAS, R70 and D'Banj. Returning to Nigeria he spent the Next year working at Lagos University Teaching Hospital, and then went on to serve his country at Yola in Adamawa state. He also worked at various dental clinics combining dentistry and music.
He started recording a studio album titled Prognosis which featured the single "Raise da roof". He was nominated in the Best New Act category at the 2005 Amen Awards. He abandoned the album in 2006.
Dr SID after 3 years made the tough decision to quit practising as a dentist and concentrate fully on his music career signing on to Don Jazzy's Mo' Hits Records and records the Mo' Hits Allstars collective album Curriculum Vitae (CV) which was released in December 2007. He featured on 7 of the 15 tracks released on the album, which include "Booty Call" and "Close to you".
Dr SID started recording his first studio album as a solo artist under Mo' Hits Records with producer Don Jazzy. The first single of the album Turning Point was titled "Something About You" and was released in September 2009 and is currently moving up the African charts alongside two other Winchi Winchi ft Wande Coal and Pop Something ft D'banj. He also performed at the MTV Africa Music Awards in Kenya as a member of the Mo' Hits Allstars alongside D'banj, Wande Coal and Kenyan artist STL.
Following a fall out of the partners at Mo' Hits Records, D'banj and Don Jazzy, Dr SID has since signed on to Don Jazzy's Mavin Records. He also had three songs from his upcoming album featured on a Mavin Records compilation album titled: Solar Plexus.
Dr. Sid recently starred in Moses Inwang's 'The Last 3 Digits'. He played an NYSC corp member and a friend to Nonso Diobi in the movie. The movie won the People's Film Festival's Best International Film award in Paris, France.
- Chocolate West African Remix (featuring Ice Prince, Sarkodie, Elom Adablah, and Lynxxx)
- Chocolate East African Remix (featuring Musik Maestro)
- Lady Don Dada
- Love Mine
- Baby Tornado
- Baby Tornado Remix (featuring Alexandra Burke)
- Surulere (featuring Don Jazzy)
- Oyari (featuring Tiwa Savage)
- The Best
- Flawless (featuring Korede Bello)
- Greater Things
- We Up
- Open and Close
|2013||Baby Tornado ft Alexandra Burke||Olehbuckman Productions||N/A|
|2014||Work It ft Navio||N/A|||
|Surulere ft Don Jazzy||Daniel Ugo||N/A|
|2015||Kabiyesi||Dr SID and Adasa Cookey||N/A|
|2016||If I Start to talk ft Tiwa Savage||Clarence Peters||N/A|
|The Best||Clarence Peters||N/A|
|Flawless ft Korede Bello||Lavinia Noel||N/A|
|2017||Jensimi||Dr SID and Paul Gambit||N/A|
Awards and nominations
- 2008 Soundcity Music Video Awards: Fresh Video (Mo Hits allstars)
- 2009 Nigerian Music Video Awards: Best Afro Hip hop video (Mo' Hits Allstars)
- 2011 Hiphop World Awards: Hiphop World Revelation of the year
- 2011 Hiphop World Awards: Best Pop Single
- 2014 City People Entertainment Awards Best Collaboration
- , Imdb.
- , Punch article.
- List of schools in Nigeria, List of schools in nigeria.
- Nigerian Universities, NIgerian Universities
- Lagos, Lagos Universities.
- List of hospitals in Nigeria#Lagos, Lagos Hospitals.
- , Something About you Lyrics.
- , Radio Express Africa Chart.
- ,[dead link] MAMA 2009 Performers.
- , Turning point on iTunes.
- , Punch Newspaper.
- "THE LAST 3 DIGITS 1ST TRAILER". You Tube. Moses Inwang. Retrieved 27 October 2014.
- "'The Last 3 Digits' Moses Inwang's movie wins 'Best International film' award". Pulse Nigeria. Chidumga Izuzu. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Dr. Sid Makes Nollywood Debut In 'The Last 3 Digits'". Information Nigeria. Haliwud. Retrieved 22 April 2014.
- "Navio, Dr Sid African stars collaborate in 'Work it' video". Pulse.com.gh. Joey Akan. Retrieved 24 February 2016.
- "NMVA WINNERS AND NOMINEES". 11 January 2010. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "THE HEADIES' WINNERS LIST - Hiphop World Awards 2011". 25 October 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- "Rita Dominic, Davido, Tiwa Savage, Majid Michel - 2014 City People Entertainment Awards Nominees - BellaNaija". www.bellanaija.com. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dr SID.|