Drag It Up
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Drag It Up|
|Studio album by Old 97's|
|Released||July 27, 2004|
|Recorded||Soil of the South Productions, San Diego CA and Dreamland Studios, Woodstock NY|
|Genre||Country rock, alternative country|
|Label||New West Records|
|Old 97's chronology|
This album sees the band return to a less-polished form than its predecessor, 2001's Satellite Rides. Ken Bethea, the lead guitar player, said the following in a press release:
- "It’s hard not to compare an album with those that came before it. Drag It Up is our most personal. We recorded it on 8 tracks, which pretty much means there was very little studio trickery. What you’ll hear, or maybe I should say, what you won’t hear is second-guessing, sleight of hand or revisionist thinking. Whereas Too Far To Care was an idealistic album made for big cars and air guitars, Drag It Up is better served by thinking and driving on Sunday afternoons in the middle of nowhere. Fight Songs was urban, Hitchhike to Rhome was a giant demo and Satellite Rides was hitchhike's opposite, that is to say, for us (four hacks from Texas) a wonderful recording of near-perfect performances. Wreck Your Life was the spiritual predecessor to Drag It Up - punk rock recorded over the course of a few days in a Chicago attic. We have grown - albeit kicking and screaming - into a complex, philosophical and mortal band." (taken from old97's.com)
The song The New Kid was featured on the TV Series Veronica Mars.
All tracks by Rhett Miller, Ken Bethea, Murry Hammond and Philip Peeples.
- "Won't Be Home" - 4:48
- "Moonlight" - 3:40
- "Borrowed Bride" - 2:08
- "Smokers" (vocals by Murry Hammond) - 3:52
- "Coahuila" (vocals by Ken Bethea) - 2:27
- "Blinding Sheets Of Rain" - 3:20
- "Valium Waltz" - 4:39
- "In The Satellite Rides A Star" (vocals by Murry Hammond) - 4:40
- "The New Kid" - 3:41
- "Bloomington" - 3:27
- "Adelaide" - 3:29
- "Friends Forever" - 3:08
- "No Mother" - 4:59
- Rhett Miller - lead vocals, rhythm guitar, backup vocals on "Smokers" and "Satellite", additional backup vocals on "Coahulia"
- Murry Hammond - bass, backing vocals, harmonium on "No Mother", electric guitar on "New Kid", lead guitar and tambourine on "Bloomington", lead vocals on "Smokers", vocals, acoustic guitar and shaker on "Satellite"
- Ken Bethea - lead guitar, accordion, no. 2 plectrum on "No Mother", lead vocals on "Coahulia"
- Philip Peeples - drums, shakers, tambourines
- Ken, Murry, Rhett and Philip - group backup vocals on "No Mother", "Friends Forever" and "Smokers"
- Craig Packham - tambourine on "New Kid"
- Archie Thompson - piano on "Borrowed Bride"
- Mitch Manker - trumpet on "Adelaide", appears courtesy of the Ray Charles Orchestra
- Sarah Neill - age 2, provided backward piano on "Valium Waltz"
- Chris Lawrence - pedal steel guitar on "Moonlight" and "Blinding Sheets of Rain"