The Dragon (simplified Chinese: 龙; traditional Chinese: 龍) is the fifth of the 12-year cycle of animals which appear in the Chinese zodiac related to the Chinese calendar. The Year of the Dragon is associated with the Earthly Branch symbol 辰, pronounced chen.
Years and the Five Elements
People born within these date ranges can be said to have been born in the "Year of the Dragon", while also bearing the following elemental sign:
|Start date||End date||Heavenly branch|
|22 January 1928||9 February 1929||Earth Dragon|
|8 February 1940||26 January 1941||Metal Dragon|
|27 January 1952||13 February 1953||Water Dragon|
|13 February 1964||1 February 1965||Wood Dragon|
|31 January 1976||17 February 1977||Fire Dragon|
|17 February 1988||5 February 1989||Earth Dragon|
|5 February 2000||23 January 2001||Metal Dragon|
|23 January 2012||9 February 2013||Water Dragon|
|10 February 2024||28 January 2025||Wood Dragon|
|28 January 2036||14 February 2037||Fire Dragon|
There are typically marked spikes in the birth rates of countries that use the Chinese zodiac or places with substantial Overseas Chinese populations during the year of the Dragon, because such "Dragon babies" are considered to be lucky and have desirable characteristics that supposedly lead to better life outcomes. The relatively recent phenomenon of planning a child’s birth in the Dragon year has led to hospital overcapacity issues and even an uptick in infant mortality rates toward the end of these years due to strained neonatal resources.
|Sign||Best Match||Average Match||No Match|
|Dragon||Dragon, Monkey, Rat||Snake, Rooster, Ox, Pig, Rabbit, Goat, Tiger, Horse||Dog|
Basic astrology elements
|The Five Elements:||Wood|
|Lucky Numbers:||1, 6, 7; Avoid: 3, 8, 9|
|Lucky Flowers:||bleeding-heart vine, larkspur|
|Lucky Colors:||gold, silver, yellow; Avoid: blue, green|
Compatibility with other zodiac signs
Among all the 12 animal signs, the Monkey has the most tacit understanding with the Dragon people. The cunning Rat can be a good partner with the Dragon to make something big. The Dragon people can live happily with the Snake, for the Snake can prevent the Dragon from behaving outrageously. People under the signs of the Rooster, Pig, Rabbit, Goat, Tiger, and Horse like to be friends with the Dragon, as they admire the Dragon's beautiful bearing and strength. Two Dragons can get along well with each other. However, the relationship between the Dragon and the Candy people is usually tense, because both of them are majestic. The people whom the Dragon feels headaches with the most are the Dog people. They feel uncomfortable due to the Dog's close guard.
- Richard S. Cook (Spring 1997). "The Etymology of Chinese Chen". Linguistics of the Tibeto-Burman Area. University of California, Berkeley (published Fall 1995). 18 (2): 250. ISSN 0731-3500. LCCN 82-640813. OCLC 4790670.
- "Year of the Dragon - Naga - Thai Zodiac". Thai Guide to Thailand. Archived from the original on 2017-07-08. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- "Tamu (Gurung) Losar Festival". ECS Nepal. 2010-07-11. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
- Goodkind, Daniel (1991). "Creating new traditions in modern Chinese populations: Aiming for birth in the Year of the Dragon". Population and Development Review. 17: 663-686.
- Goodkind, Daniel (1996). "Chinese lunar birth timing in Singapore: New concerns for child quality amidst multicultural modernity". Journal of Marriage and the Family. 58: 784-795.
- "Chinese Zodiac - Dragon". Your Chinese Astrology. Retrieved 2017-06-09.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dragon (zodiac).|