Dragon Ball Online
|Dragon Ball Online|
Bird Studio / Shueisha
Dragon Ball Online (ドラゴンボールオンライン, Doragon Bōru Onrain, Korean: 드래곤볼 온라인) (DBO) was a massive multiplayer online role-playing game being developed in Japan and South Korea by NTL, set in the Dragon Ball universe. Dragon Ball Online takes place on Earth, 216 years after the events of Goku's departure.
A beta testing of Dragon Ball Online was announced on March 10, 2007 in South Korea in, but was delayed until January 2010. NTL Director Koji Takamiya stated in numerous interviews that he would like to see a global release for the game. On September 26, 2013 the Korean servers of the game were shut down and on October 31, 2013 the Hong Kong and Taiwan servers of the game were shut down.
On May 21, 2014 a new website titled the Dragon Ball Z New Project was up and running. The website presented a picture of Goku and three screenshots. On July 10, 2014 the project was given an name titled Dragon Ball Xenoverse.
The events of Dragon Ball Online take place in the age 1000 (216 years after the Buu saga.) with the role of villain going to a group headed by Mira and Towa, original characters who are created exclusively for the game. Mira and Towa hail from the Demon Realm and is attempting to invade the Earth in the age 2000, with the help of Frieza's army and the Red Ribbon Army, but currently has their eyes set on the past by way of time travel. The purpose for them wanting to go back in time is so that Mira can attempt to obtain Goku's DNA which he will then use to strengthen himself for when he invades the Earth in the future. Currently, all known henchmen of the Time Breakers have been under the effect of mind control. Mind controlled victims are characterized by a green gem marked with an "X" that rests in their forehead (in some cases it may be in their chest or could also be a mask instead of a gem).
The player takes the role of a character from an unknown time period who is sucked through a crack in time caused by Mira's army. Eventually, the player makes their way to the age 1000 (with the help of the Time Patrol Capsule and Trunks) and throughout the game the player will be able to travel through different time periods to alter the past and fix the present. All of the events that the player witnesses in the Age 1000 currently only take place on the planet Earth. Both the Majin and Namekian race start their journeys, just like the Humans, on Earth. The new planet Namek was destroyed by Mira in the age 853 and sections of the Earth have since been transformed to resemble the planet Namek.
As with other MMORPGs, players control a character avatar, which will be viewing the HUD from a third-person perspective, within a persistent game world, where they will be able to explore the landscape, search for the Dragon Balls, train to compete in the Tenkaichi Budokai, aspiring to become like the warriors of legend, as well as interact with NPCs and other players. As in most MMORPGs, players will be able to obtain money and experience which will allow them to level up and obtain new abilities. Players may also participate in "Time Machine Quests", in which they will receive guidance from Time Patrol Trunks (タイムパトロールトランクス, Taimu Patorōru Torankusu), in order to travel back in time and take part in notable aspects of the Dragon Ball history.
The Human races and classes
Of the three races, the humans have the longest established culture on Earth, and they're also the most prolific, having spread to all corners of the world, including the Wastelands. As of Age 1000, the human race has become cross-bred with the Saiyan race, and as such, many believe that the race holds a powerful, hidden potential, due to their part Saiyan blood. In Age 820, the remnants of the Frieza Army invaded Earth; the war and environmental destruction has given the human race an intense drive to protect the planet.
Humans in the Age 1000 are well aware of advanced fighting techniques. This is all thanks to Son Gohan, who published the book "Groundbreaking Science" around Age 800, presumably introducing concepts such as Ki control to the general public and ushering in a worldwide revolution in martial arts. If the human player collects all Dragon Balls, he or she will be able to wish for the ability to turn into an any Super Saiyan.
There were three different kinds of human the player could choose to play the game, one of which was never released. Each one has its own attacks and techniques:
- Martial Artist (武道家, Budoka) - Fighters who specialize in martial arts, comparable to characters like Yamcha and Krillin. After the players reach level 30 they can become either a Swordsmaster or a Fighter AKA Polemaster, in which case they will learn skills using a sword or a polearm, respectively.
- Spiritualist (気功家, Kikoka) - Mystics who specialize in spiritual techniques, like Chiaotzu and Tien. The level 30 Master classes are Crane Hermit and Turtle Hermit.
- Engineer - "Mechanics and inventors who build weapons and utilize technology, much like Bulma and her dad." This class was announced but was never implemented into the game. If the class was added to the game the level 30 master classes would have include Gun maniac and Mech Maniac.
The Namekian race and classes
After the Namekians homeworld, Planet Namek, was destroyed, they migrated to New Namek. However, that was attacked by Miira in Age 853, forcing them to move yet again. They settled on Earth, primarily around "Porunga Rocks", a region that was terraformed to resemble Namek. They now work on behalf of Kami-sama Dende to prevent Miira from causing global destruction. Unlike other races, Namekians are genderless and reproduce asexually.
There are two different kinds of Namekian the player can choose to play the game. Each one has its own attacks and techniques:
- Dragon Clan (龍族, Ryuzoku) - Namekian Dragon Clansmen are the rare Namekians born into the Dragon Clan, who have the ability heal others and to create and control shenlongs. The Dende Priests follow the teachings of Kami-sama Dende, who is regarded as the greatest spiritual teacher in Namekian history, and emphasize healing and strengthening their allies. Poko Priests, on the other hand, vomit eggs that hatch into demon shenlongs called Pokopen, which they can control. The level 30 master classes include Poko Priest and Dende Priest.
- Warrior (戦士, Senshi) - Warrior-type namekians that follow the teachings of the legendary Namekian warrior, Piccolo, and they fall into two categories Makai Warriors and Madou Warriors. Makai Warriors follow Piccolo's teachings, while the Madou Warriors are those who have reinterpreted Piccolo's teachings to develop a new style. The level 30 master classes include Dark Warrior and Shadow Knight.
The Majin race and classes
After Goku left to train Uub, Mr. Buu and Mr. Satan won the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai by cheating, and remained undefeated through the 29th and 30th. However, after a while, Mr. Buu became envious of the humans and the close relationships they had with their sweethearts. In Age 790, Buu accidentally found and read Mr. Satan's copy of "Bob and Margaret", a controversial adult book, in his library. He began to study it in order to create a "Female Buu" that would be just his type. With the name Buuby in mind, he removed part of his body and molded it into a wife for himself, then finished by hitting her with a Love Beam, causing her to give birth to a "Baby Buu". From then on the population grew like wild fire, and, in time, the descendants of Buu were recognized worldwide as the Majin race. They're an optimistic and joyful people who dedicate themselves to making "fun days" for others, though they can become dangerous when they're angry or confused. They stand against Mira in order to create a more pleasant Earth.
There are two different kinds of Majin the player can choose to play the game. Each one has its own attacks and techniques:
- Wonder Majin (異魔人, Imajin) - The Wonder Majin have a natural gift for uplifting the spirits of those around them and are also able to reduce the impact of enemy attacks with their soft bodies. They can become Ultimate, musicians who enjoy fighting and rally their friends with songs, or Grand Chef, chefs who torment their enemies with a mischievous and fattening fighting style and use maces that resemble foods. The level 30 classes include Grand Chef Majin and Ultimate Majin.
- Mighty Majin (大魔人, Daimajin) - The Mighty Majin are majin that at some point experienced the corrupting influence of sin. They're aggressive, and develop fighting techniques capable of really hurting their enemies. The level 30 master classes include Plasma Majin and Karma Majin.
While the servers for Dragon Ball Online have now been completely shut down, the Dragon Ball Xenoverse game remains available on Microsoft Windows (through Steam). Despite being built using many of the same assets and core game engine, the two games bear little resemblance to one another in gameplay style; Xenoverse is a hybrid of basic MMORPG elements and the "versus fighting" combat that so many other Dragon Ball games have revolved around.
Towa and Mira
A demon couple. Towa is the younger sister of Mira both offspring from the demon king Dabura, they serve as the main villains of the game alongside the Xenoverse (Where the story was altered Towa was the wife of Mira of which she created from a lab. ) games and later major villains in Dragon Ball Heroes.
Shun Shun and Haru Haru
Two Majin sisters who feud with each other that appears in Dragon Ball Heroes.
General Bon is a member of the Red Pants army and later appears in Dragon Ball Heroes.
Several unlicensed emulations in English have been attempted. There are multiple notable projects: Dragon Ball Online Revelations  & Dragon Ball Online New Universe are both non-profit emulations attempting for an original Dragon Ball Online experience, which have 'merged' to create Dragon Ball Online Universe Revelations, which is currently on hiatus for development. There is also Dragon Ball Online Global, which is a for-profit emulator against most laws and currently in its official release, open to public so to say, and Dragon Ball Online Special Forces.
- "バンダイナムコゲームス、「ドラゴンボールオンライン」を正式発表鳥山明氏全面監修、韓国で2007年夏、日本で2008年サービス開始予定". www.watch.impress.co.jp. Archived from the original on March 20, 2007. Retrieved June 24, 2019.
- "『ドラゴンボールオンライン』いよいよオープン！寒波を吹き飛ばす熱気". www.sgame.jp. Archived from the original on April 7, 2014. Retrieved October 25, 2015.
- Interview with NTL Director Koji Takamiya
- "【韓国】『ドラゴンボールオンライン』NTL×バンダイコリアインタビュー【前編】". japan.internet.com. Archived from the original on January 31, 2010. Retrieved October 25, 2015.
- Dragon Ball Online Revelations
- Dragon Ball Online Global