Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z
|Dragon Ball Battle of Z|
|Publisher(s)||Bandai Namco Games|
|Release date(s)||JP January 23, 2014
EU January 24, 2014
NA January 28, 2014
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z is a fighting video game based on the manga and anime franchise Dragon Ball, and is the first new DBZ game to be released since Dragon Ball Z Budokai: HD Collection in 2012. It was developed by Artdink and published by Bandai Namco Games. The game promotes the release of the film Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods, featuring the first video game appearance of Goku's Super Saiyan God form as well as the characters Beerus and Whis.
Battle of Z was confirmed to be in development on January 14, 2013. It will feature a four-player mode, an eight-player "Battle Royale", online multiplayer, and dynamic boss battles. The game has been confirmed for a worldwide release. It is a multi-player based game, though single-player is an available feature.
Battle of Z is a team fighting action title that lets up to eight players battle it out against one another in a gameplay and graphical style similar to those of Dragon Ball: Zenkai Battle Royale. The game can have up to four players in cooperative play, and lets players perform attacks together and heal one another. It also supports online multiplayer battles, and PS Vita ad-hoc connection. A multiplayer restriction in this game is that two players can not play on the same console; the developers say this is due to wanting a player having the best possible graphics in full screen. Battle of Z features over 70 characters, as well as team battles against giant characters such as Great Ape Vegeta, Great Ape Gohan, and Hirudegarn.
The game features more than 70 characters. Instead of transformations grouped together into one character, they are actually separated into each transformation each. The pre-order offer comes in with 2 exclusive in-game DLC Characters: Super Vegito and Super Saiyan Bardock, available solely via pre-order across Europe, America, and Australasia. Day 1 Edition includes a bonus DLC code for Goku in Naruto Sage Mode costume.
To further celebrate the release of the game, NAMCO BANDAI Games Europe is providing fans with some unique Pre-order and Day 1 offers, now including the GOKU Edition: a Collector's Edition for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 which features the full game with the unique GOKU (Naruto Uzumaki Sage Mode) Costume DLC, an art book with privileged content from the developers' team, and an exclusive SUPER SAIYAN GOKU figurine (25 cm height).
Players can be very successful in high-speed battles on the ground and in the air. The game's key feature is team battle action of four versus four. Teammates share a special energy meter called GENKI Gauge. This meter increases when attacking opponents and, when filled, allows the character to perform an ultimate attack. Any of the teammates can decide to give or use energy from the gauge in order to perform an attack. Playable characters can team up to perform techniques such as Synchro Rush, Meteor Chain, and Revive Soul. Meteor Chain involves partners teaming up to launch attack after attack, following up each other's attacks and timing it so the opponent has no time to counter. Using Meteor Chains is an effective way to get the GENKI Gauge to fill up quickly. Synchro Rush is rushing the opponent at the same time, resulting in simultaneous hits. Revive Soul is reviving a fallen partner, giving them energy to get back in the battle. Also, thanks to Energy Share, teammates can share ki with each others. Villains can team up with Heroes in the game, but they do not show appreciation when given ki or extra energy to heal. There are four different battle types for playable characters:
- Melee Type: skilled at close combat, can combo with melee attacks. Attack Type moves are Kaio-ken Attack, Dance of the Sword, Recoome Kick.
- Ki Blast Type: skilled at long range battle, can make consecutive attacks using the Genki Gauge. Ki Blast Type moves are Consecutive Energy Blast, Death Beam, Spirit Ball.
- Support Type: powers such as health regeneration and support abilities. Support Type moves are Health regain blast, Fighting Pose.
- Interfere Type: adept at abilities that interfere with the enemy's movements. Interference Type moves are Solar Flare, Chocolate Beam, Drain Energy.
There is a unique feature system that allows players to modify (edit) characters using ability/or customization cards. By collecting and equipping cards, characters that might not be suited to battle can be boosted to make them more capable, alternatively they can be given abilities that make their natural strengths more pronounced.
Game modes include Single Missions, Multi Missions, and Team Battles.
In this mode, it is possible to fight as either the Z Fighters or their antagonists. 60 missions are featured, ordered in Saiyan Saga (Z Fighters route and Saiyan route), Frieza Saga (Z Fighters route and Planet Trade Organization route), Cell Saga (Z Fighters route and Androids route), Majin Buu Saga (Z Fighters route and Majin Buu route), Another Age, Extra Age, and Special Age. The original manga/anime story is modified to include team battles, such as the fight with Frieza which, instead of Goku being the only character to face the tyrant, also includes Piccolo, Gohan, and Krillin for the final battle on Namek. Also included is a special history which is based on the Saiyans if something involving them had happened differently. Another scenario made for the game has a battle against all of Goku's family, including Bardock and Goten.
This mode allows 4 players to join online to complete missions in cooperation. It allows players who have difficulty to complete missions alone to find means to complete them online.
This mode includes Shin Battle Mode and Battle Royal. Shin Battle Mode allows up to 4 players to join in order to complete missions in a competition, and Battle Royal allows the combatants to fight against each other not organized in teams. The game will have four different battle modes- normal battle, score battle, Battle Royal, and Dragon Ball Grab.
Normal Battle: This is a standard 4-on-4 battle. Each team is allotted the ability to "Retry" a certain amount of times after members are defeated. The first team who drops to 0 in the "Retry" count loses the game.
Score Battle: This is a 4-on-4 battle. To reach the highest score possible, each team has to knockout as many people as possible from the other team in a certain amount of time.
Battle Royal: This is a free-for-all, where every man is for himself. Each player will have to knockout the other and reach the highest score possible. All 8 players will battle for the same and unique crown!
Dragon Ball Grab: 2 teams of 4 players will fight for the 7 Dragon Balls dispersed in the field. The first team who collects all of the Dragon Balls wins the game. If neither team manages to do that in the allotted time, the one having the highest number wins. (Edy)
- Customize character
Battle of Z brings back the feature to edit a character to make them the strongest character. It is shown that cards and card slots are the method for editing characters.
- Edit costume
Battle of Z introduces the feature to edit the color pattern of character's costume.
- Goku (Base, Super Saiyan, Super Saiyan 2, Super Saiyan 3, Super Saiyan God: Melee Type for all forms)
- Kid Gohan (Support Type)
- Teen Gohan (Base: Support Type, Super Saiyan: Melee and Support Type, Super Saiyan 2: Melee Type)
- Adolescent Gohan (Super Saiyan 2) (Support Type)
- Ultimate Gohan (Melee Type)
- Piccolo (Ki Blast and Interfere Type)
- Krillin (Support and Interfere Type)
- Yamcha (Support and Interfere Type)
- Tien Shinhan (Interfere Type)
- Future Trunks (Sword) (Base: Melee and Support Type, Super Saiyan: Melee Type)
- Future Trunks (Super Saiyan: Ki Blast Type, Super Trunks: Melee Type)
- Kid Trunks (Base: Support and Interfere Type, Super Saiyan: Support and Ki Blast Type)
- Goten (Base: Support and Interfere Type, Super Saiyan: Support and Melee Type)
- Gotenks (Base: Melee and Interfere Type, Super Saiyan: Ki Blast and Interfere Type, Super Saiyan 3: Ki Blast and Interfere Type)
- Bardock (Ki Blast Type)
- Saibaman (Interfere Type)
- Raditz (Ki Blast Type)
- Nappa (Fighting Type)
- Vegeta (Base: Ki Blast Type, Super Saiyan: Ki Blast Type, Super Saiyan 2: Ki Blast Type, Majin: Melee Type)
- Guldo (Interfere Type)
- Jeice (Support Type)
- Burter (Melee and Interfere Type)
- Recoome (Melee Type)
- Captain Ginyu (Ki Blast and Support Type)
- Frieza (1st Form: Ki Blast and Interfere Type, 2nd Form: Melee Type, 3rd Form: Ki Blast Type, Final Form: Ki Blast and Interfere Type, Full Power: Melee Type)
- Frieza Soldier (Ki Blast Type)
- Cooler (Base: Ki Blast Type, Final Form: Melee Type)
- Meta-Cooler (Ki Blast Type)
- Dr. Gero (Interfere Type)
- Android 19 (Interfere Type)
- Android 18 (Support Type)
- Android 17 (Melee and Support Type)
- Android 16 (Melee Type)
- Cell (First Form: Interfere Type, Second Form: Melee and Interfere Type, Perfect Form: Melee Type, Perfect: Ki Blast Type)
- Cell Jr. (Melee and Interfere Type)
- Broly (Super Saiyan: Ki Blast Type, Legendary Super Saiyan: Melee Type)
- Dabura (Ki Blast and Interfere Type)
- Majin Buu (Support and Interfere Type)
- Super Buu (Base: Melee Type, Gohan Absorbed: Ki Blast, Interfere Type)
- Kid Buu (Melee and Interfere Type)
- Beerus (Melee Type)
- Whis (Melee and Support Type)
Downloadable content characters
- Super Vegito (Ki Blast Type)
- Bardock (Super Saiyan: Melee Type)
- Goku (Super Saiyan: Melee Type) (Sage The Gemini)
- Great Ape Vegeta
- Great Ape Kid Gohan
- Great Ape Bardock
- Metal Cooler (Big Gete Star)
- Hirudegarn (Final Form)
- Rocky Area
- Kami's Lookout
- Planet Namek
- Ruined Namek
- Urban Area
- Hyperbolic Time Chamber
- Big Gete Star
- Cell Games Arena
- World Tournament Ring
- Supreme Kai's Planet
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z received mixed reviews, The Japanese magazine Famitsu gave 32/40 to all versions of the game with all four reviewers giving the game 8/10. PSU gave it 8/10, criticising the lack of offline vs. and offline co-op modes. IGN gave an overall score of 6.6/10, criticising the limited combat and the unbalanced teams in Battle Mode, while praising the visuals and the Co-op Mode. GameSpot gave this game a 4/10.
As of March 31, 2014 the game shipped 620,000 copies worldwide.
- Romano, Sal. "Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z announced for PS3, Xbox 360, PS Vita". Gematsu. Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z Makes Super Saiyan God Playable", siliconera.com
- V-Jump Issue #8, 2013
- Weekly Shōnen Jump, Issue #31, 2013
- "Namco Bandai Japan Expo round-up" computerandvideogames.com
- "Financial Highlights for the Fiscal Year Ended March 2014" (PDF). Namco Bandai. 8 May 2014. Retrieved 8 May 2014.