|Genre(s)||Social network game|
Dragon City task players to raise their own dragons and design a city full of dragons on floating islands. Gold produced by dragons can be used to buy and upgrade buildings and habitats. Farms can be used to grow food, which can be used to level up dragons, improving their strength depending on the dragon's rarity, and increase gold production. You can also breed two dragons that are at least Level 4 to produce a new and hybrid dragon. In addition to raising the dragons, players are able to use them to battle other players' dragons through League Battles. These battles can award you multiple important resources like Gems and Food which can make your progression in the game faster.
Aside from raising dragons and taking them to battle, players can participate in limited-time events that allow them to obtain new and exclusive dragons. There is a multitude of events that have different requirements in order to get them.
Once a player has reached Level 27, the Ancient World appears, which is an area of the game where Gold can be exchanged for Crystals (ruby, sapphire, topaz, emerald, onyx, and diamond) which can be collected from mines that can be used to summon Ancient Dragons. The crafting station is used to craft better tiers of crystals using lower-tier crystals and platinum. Platinum is generated by the ancient dragons similar to how the regular dragons generate gold.
In the game, there are up to 14 element types, and dragons come with up to 4 elements that they can learn moves from. The elements are Terra, Flame, Sea, Nature, Electric, Ice, Metal, Dark, Light, War, Pure, Legend, Primal, and Wind. As of the Ancient World Update, 6 additional elements have been added, which are: Beauty, Magic, Chaos, Happy, Dream, and Soul. As of the 10th Birthday Update, a new dragon element was added, which is Time.
Previously, there were 5 rarities of dragons, which are Common, Rare, Very Rare, Epic, and Legendary. On 15 April 2016, a new rarity of dragon was released. The new rarity was Heroic and was introduced alongside the first Heroic dragon, the High Fenrir Dragon.
Dragon City was first released in Facebook in May 2012, with iOS and Android in 2013. On February 26, 2019, the Microsoft Windows version of the game was released. On February 2, 2020, the Facebook version of the game was closed.
- Sponsored. "Guide to the Ancient World: part one". www.pocketgamer.com. Retrieved 8 March 2021.
- "Dragon City's 10th Birthday — Dragon City Help Center". socialpoint.helpshift.com. Retrieved 19 May 2022.
- Scott Reyburn (30 May 2013). "Social Point's Andrés Bou on Dragon City's success on mobile, sticking with the Facebook platform and plans for 2013 | SocialTimes". Insidemobileapps.com. Archived from the original on 21 December 2014. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "How We Made Dragon City Mobile. | Social Point". Socialpoint.es. Archived from the original on 2 December 2013. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Microsoft Store version FAQ - Socialpoint Support". Socialpoint.es. Archived from the original on 30 November 2020. Retrieved 30 November 2020.
- "Dragon City - Socialpoint Support". Socialpoint.es. Archived from the original on 30 November 2020. Retrieved 30 November 2020.