Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3
|Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3|
|Series||Dragon Quest Monsters|
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 (ドラゴンクエストモンスターズ ジョーカー3 Doragon Kuesuto Monsutāzu Jōkā Suri) is a role-playing video game developed by Square Enix and Tose and published by Square Enix for the Nintendo 3DS. It is the sequel to Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2, and is the sixth game in the Dragon Quest Monsters series. It was released in Japan on March 24, 2016.
The top screen of the Nintendo 3DS shows a third-person perspective of the main character and the world around him, called "Break World", while the bottom screen shows a map of the nearby area, with the current goal circled in red. The protagonist carries a device known as a Reactor, which can be used to discover hidden objects or paths. Some paths require the player to be riding a monster to traverse. Players will be able to ride on the 500 different monsters that populate the game world. The monsters come in either land, sea, or sky varieties, meaning that different types monsters are required to traverse different paths. Players can also equip them with accessories and level them up. Leveling up a monster can give it new abilities, such as the ability to do more jumps in a row and therefore access areas previously out of reach. The Reactor device can also be used to scan monsters to discover information about them. If the player attacks a monster while riding, the other monster begins the battle stunned or knocked out. A competitive mini-game is included called "Great Riders Cup" that uses the monster riding system of the main game and allows up to four players to compete either with the game AI or with local players or others over Wifi. The games protagonist can be visually customized with different color for hair, scarf, boots, pants, and gloves. Monsters can also be color customized by finding and rescuing a monster called Color Fondue who can perform "Color Fusion" on monsters a player controls.
As with the previous game, Square Enix released Joker 3 Professional, an expanded version of the game, on February 9, 2017. Professional is the final entry in the Joker series.
The games protagonist suffers from amnesia and must search the world to remember his past. A mysterious girl, an old woman, and a tribe of monsters will all assist him in his quest, while a figure called the Dark Master, who calls himself a "human hunter", pursues the protagonist with powerful monsters that have awakened their latent dark powers.
In July 2015, series creator Yuji Hori discussed the third title in the Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker, featuring a new logo designed by Akira Toriyama. A game trailer was shown at Jump Festa 2016 featuring the titles new art style and large variety of monsters. Demos of the game were released for Japanese Nintendo 3DS game consoles in early March 2016. Those that completed the demo were given a code for a free present in the full game. A special wallpaper designed by Toriyama was released on the games website to commemorate the games launch.
- "ニンテンドー3DSソフト 「ドラゴンクエストモンスターズ ジョーカー3」発売日・価格決定のお知らせ". Square Enix. December 2, 2015.
- Sato (2015-11-25). "Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 Shows More Of Its World And Reactor Features". Siliconera. Retrieved 2016-03-22.
- Sato (2016-01-07). "Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 Will Let You Choose Out Of 5 Monsters From Fusions". Siliconera. Retrieved 2016-03-22.
- Sato (2016-02-18). "Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 Has An Online Monster-Riding Mini-Game". Siliconera. Retrieved 2016-03-22.
- Sato (2016-01-20). "Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 Shows More Of Its Character Customization". Siliconera. Retrieved 2016-03-22.
- Spencer (2015-07-15). "Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 Scouted For Nintendo 3DS". Siliconera. Retrieved 2016-03-22.
- Sato (2015-12-21). "Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3 Shows Its Latest With A Jump Festa 2016 Trailer". Siliconera. Retrieved 2016-03-22.
- Sato (2016-01-12). "Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3's Demo To Release In Japan In Early March". Siliconera. Retrieved 2016-03-22.
- Sato (2016-03-21). "A Look At Plenty Of Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 3's Demo Footage". Siliconera. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- Junpoco (2016-03-24). "本日発売の「ドラゴンクエストモンスターズ ジョーカー3」。鳥山 明氏が手がけた原画を元に制作された特製壁紙を配信". 4gamer. Retrieved 2016-04-04.
- Sato (2016-03-30). "This Week In Sales: Monsters, Skeletons, Vocaloids, Bikinis, And Nobunaga". Siliconera. Retrieved 2016-04-03.
- Sal Romano (2016-03-22). "Famitsu Review Scores: Issue 1425". Gematsu. Retrieved 2016-04-03.
- Official website (in Japanese)