Dragon Quest Retsuden: Roto no Monshō
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Dragon Quest Biography: Emblem of Roto|
(Doragon Kuesuto Retsuden: Roto no Monshō)
|Illustrated by||Kamui Fujiwara|
|Magazine||Monthly Shōnen Gangan|
|Original run||September 1991 – July 1997|
|Directed by||Tsukasa Sunaga|
Kamui Fujiwara (original work)|
Chiaki Kawamata (comic book)
|Music by||Kaoru Wada|
|Released||April 20, 1996|
Dragon Quest Biography: Emblem of Roto (ドラゴンクエスト列伝 ロトの紋章 Doragon Kuesuto Retsuden: Roto no Monshō, also known as Dragon Quest: Emblem of Roto) is a manga series by Chiaki Kawamata (outlook on the world), Junji Koyanagi (scenario) and Kamui Fujiwara (art) that was adapted into a comic CD in 1994. An anime movie based on the manga was released in Japan in April 20, 1996 . Its story is meant to take place between Dragon Quest III and the original Dragon Quest video game. As of May 2015, the series has sold 20 million copies, including 400,000 copies sold overseas.
After monsters possessed the king of Carmen seven years before the story began, the kingdom fell to the armies of evil. The only survivors were the king's son, Arus, who is descended from the hero Roto, and the army general's daughter Lunafrea. In the present day in the kingdom of Loran, a child is born and christened with the name "Jagan," as per the orders of the Demon Lord Imagine. Arus sets out with Lunafrea in order to defeat the monsters who now rule Carmen and to restore peace to the world.
- Arus (アルス Arus)
- The protagonist of the series. Although youthful, Arus fights against Jagan and his forces.
- Killa (キラ Kira)
- Master Swordsman (剣王 Ken'ō). He is the sixth "Holy Warrior", and was raised like a son by Ghiran the merchant. He later discovers his true parentage during a confrontation with Demon Lord Imagine (異魔神 Imajin) He marries Yao after the Demon Lord is defeated.
- Yao (ヤオ Yao)
- Master Fistsman (拳王 Ken'ō). She is a female "Holy Warrior". While traveling around the world as a street performer, she pursued her villages enemies with an old man named Fan. She is proficient in Chinese military arts and can also use a magical ability called "wave motion fist" to control her own heart. During the story, she changes from a young woman with a pony tail to an adult woman.
- Poron (ポロン Poron) Alleged name "Legendary Jobless Person" (「伝説の遊び人」 "Densetsu no Asobinin")
- Master Wiseman (賢王 Ken'ō). This character would often play tricks on people with his henchmen (Rampage Drakee (暴れドラキー Abare dorakī), Lone Slime (はぐれスライム Hagure Suraimu) and Apprentice Ghost (見習いゴースト Minarai Gōsuto)). He mastered Union Spell (合体呪文 Gattai Jumon), which is Quadal the Great Sage's most powerful and secret magic spell, and Extreme Union Spell Madante (究極合体呪文マダンテ Kyūkyoku Gattai Jumon Madante), another spell discovered by Quadal that only Ken'ō found a way to perform.
- Lunafrea (ルナフレア Runafurea)
Lunafrea is the daughter of Carmen Knights-Hospitalers Leader Borugoi. She is also the owner of a Carmen-style sword called "Kodachi of Haze." She has a bold personality, and with Ghiran fought with the Master Swordsman. This turned out to be Kira's elder brother who was being controlled by Evil Power Nekurosu (魔剣ネクロス Maken Nekurosu, lit. Demon Sword Necross). She dies in battle and is later seen at Acheron where the dead crossover to the next world. While there she advises Arus not to forget his destiny and pulls him back from the crossing.
- Old Teacher Tarkin (老師タルキン Rōshi Tarukin)
When Carmen castle was destroyed, Tarkin saved young Arus with Lunaphurea, became his foster parent, and raised both Arus and Kira in a hidden location in Isis.
- Alan (アラン Aran)
Alan is the purified version of Jagan, having been released from an evil curse. He got back his original name and life, and remembered his human mother Fureia.
- Asteea (アステア Asutea)
Asteea is a girl came from the underground world of Alefgard. She is a descendant of Flora, Roto's third child, who was thought to be stillborn and was hidden from the Demon Lord Imagine. When Ryūō the dragon king took Tantagel Castle, Asteea vowed to take it back.
- Imajin (異魔神 Imajin)
The main antagonist, Imajin is the Demon god of destruction.
- Jagan (ジャガン Jagan) a.k.a. Demon Humanoid King Jagan (魔人王ジャガン Majin'ō Jagan)
Jagan is the king of demons, and has both power of Roto and of evil spirits. Later on in the story, his blood is purified and he becomes Alan.
- Ryūō (竜王 Ryūō)
Ryūō is the king of dragons and the son of the Empress Dragon. The Demon Lord Imagine tricked Ryūō into following his counsel, until the demons true identity was revealed. To assist in the defeat of Jagan, he helps Arus and his friends, and also surrenders the castle of Tantagel. He later became the main antagonist in the video game Dragon Warrior, as revealed in the last chapter of the manga.
- Brarch Gunon (獣王グノン Jūō Gunon)
Gunon is the "Lord of the Beasts." His troops consist of various land animals including rodents, felines, mammals, birds and mythical creatures like minotaurs and serpents. His true form is that of a giant Sphinx.
- Pluto Gorgona (冥王ゴルゴナ Meiō Gorugona)
The Lord of the Undead. His troops consist of zombies, skeletons, vampires, mummies, and Lich. Has the ability to resurrect the dead to be his servants. His true form is a fusion of a spider demon and a group of seven humans from an ancient civilization.