Dragonology is a fictional book series about dragons. It contains information on dragons including how to befriend and protect dragons. It includes an alphabet of the dragon language, ancient runes, and replica samples of Dragon scales, hide, and dust. Other books in the series expand on these concepts and explain them in more detail than the original.
The toys include figures and models of the various types of Dragons, a strategic board game, and a card game.
The first book is edited by Dugald A. Steer, with other contributors credited as Helen Ward (Scientific Artist), Douglas Carrel (Chief Draughtsman), Wayne Anderson (Pictorial Artist), and Nghiem Ta (Artistic Direction).
The fictional character Dr. Ernest Drake is described as living in the 19th century and being a member of the made-up Secret and Ancient Society of Dragonologists (S.A.S.D.). Dragonology is the fictional study and conservation of dragons, who during Dr. Drake's time were becoming extinct due to rapidly increasing human population. The drawn photograph of him in Dragonology bears a very close resemblance to Steer's great grandfather. His books, Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons (one hundred copies printed in 1896, supposedly), The Dragonology Handbook: A Practical Course in Dragons (supposedly 1893), and Tracking And Taming Dragons: A Guide For Beginners were republished by the Five Mile Press, with Dragonology actually published on October 1st, 2003, who have also created facsimiles of Wizardology and the Wizardology Handbook [both alledgedly written by fictional character Merlin, the legendary wizard], Egyptology [by fictional character Emily Sands], Pirateology [by fictional captain William Lubber] and Monsterology [again by fictional author of Dragonology Ernest Drake.
Goals and Alliances
The fictional Dr. Ernest Drake's lifelong goal was to help protect dragons and bring them the scientific attention they deserve. By writing his dragonology books, Dr Drake wanted to teach open minded students to appreciate and protect dragons. Dr. Drake worked with the SASD (Secret and Ancient Society of Dragonologists), an organization formed to share and expand the scientific information on dragonology.
- Dragonology: The Complete Book of Dragons by Dr. Ernest Drake, editor Dugald A. Steer, ISBN 1-84011-503-3
- The Dragonology Handbook - a Practical Course in Dragons' by Dr. Ernest Drake, editor Dugald A. Steer, ISBN 1-84011-523-8
- The Dragonology Chronicles: The Dragon's Eye by Dugald Steer, ISBN 1-84011-533-5
- Dragonology Pocket Adventures Collection:
- The Northern Frost Dragon
- The Dragon Dance
- The Winged Serpent
- Dragonology, Bringing up Baby Dragons
- The Complete Works of Dragonology
- Dragonology The Frost Dragon
- Dragonology Field Guide to Dragons
- Drake's Comprehensive Compendium of Dragonology
- The Field Guide to Dragonology
- Dragonology: Obscure Spells and Charms of Dragon Origin
- Dragonology: Tracking and Taming Dragons
- Dragonology: Field Guide to Dragons
- Dragonology: Code Writing Kit
- Dragonology: Drake's Comprehensive Compendium of Dragonology
Sets, Games, and Toys
- Dragonology: The Board Game
- Dragonology: Hatch (cards)
- Series 1 Dragon Toys
- Series 2 Dragon Toys
- Miniature Dragon Toys
- Dragonology: Dragon 'Build your own' models
- Dragonology: The Complete Book Of Dragons
- Official website of the Ology series
- Templar Publishing Dragonology Page
- Candlewick Press Dragonology Page