|Genres||Alternative metal, grunge|
|Years active||1993 – 2000|
|Labels||MVG Records, Mercury, Island Def Jam Music Group|
|Associated acts||Superfix, Blowsight, Dr. Fungus, Hanzel Und Gretyl, Snake River Conspiracy, Revolting Cocks, Opiate for the Masses|
|Members||Maria Sjöholm - Lead vocals
Anna Kjellberg - Bass
Flavia Canel - Lead Guitar
Martina Axen - Drums/Backing vocals
Drain STH (STH for Stockholm) was an alternative metal band from Sweden.
Noted today for their Seattle/Grunge sound, Stockholm quartet Drain STH have undergone many direction changes in both musical style and image. Guitarist Flavia Canel and drummer Martina Axén have been together in many acts starting with punk band Livin' Sacrifice (not to be confused with the thrash metal band Living Sacrifice). As this act progressed the sound developed into more of a hard rock vein.
Livin' Sacrifice evolved into "Aphrodite" with Axén, Canel vocalist Malin Ekholm and bassist Anna K, Aphrodite folded upon Ekholm's departure in 1990.
Axén, Canel and Anna K formed a new band called "Ragdoll" in 1991 that also included vocalist Annie Gutå.
With Gutås departure, Axén, Canel and Anna K joined forces with former Necronancy guitarist turning vocalist Maria Sjöholm, now wife of Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi. They changed the name to "Drain" and signed a deal with MVG Records in 1994. For the American market the band was known as Drain STH. Live promotion in North America included second stage appearances at the Ozzfest event in 1997 and 1999, and tours with Type O Negative, Corrosion of Conformity, Machine Head, Megadeth, Godsmack and Black Sabbath among others. The 1999 album Freaks Of Nature would be noted for the inclusion of the track Black, co-written by Iommi, along with 2 tracks "Simon Says" and "Right Through You" co-written by Max Martin. In Metal Edge magazine's 1999 Readers' Choice Awards, they were voted "Female Performers of the Year" and "Most Underrated Band".
Despite heavy publicity, the band would ultimately fold in 2000, with Axén and Anna K (Axen switching to vocals) created Superfix in union with guitarist China and drummer Sid from Sinisstar. Progress with this new unit was slow, a second demo and Los Angeles showcase gig being delivered in August 2002 with the project laid to rest soon after.
During 2001 Flavia Canel re-emerged touting her new project, the Brooklyn, New York based Anotherday. In early 2002 Axén would also announce the formation of a high-profile side endeavour dubbed Dr. Fungus. Joining her on this venture would be Coal Chamber bassist Nadja Puelen, Adema drummer Kris Kohls and Unida guitarist Arthur Seay.
By mid-2003 Flavia Canel, working alongside vocalist / guitarist Niklas Fagerström, ex-SELPH guitarist Serban Carapancea and drummer Fabien Perreau, was touting a fresh Stockholm based band entitled Blowsight. That summer bassist Anna K was to be found joining New York City industrial band Hanzel Und Gretyl's 'Fukken Über' US tour, a band she stayed with until 2005. In 2006 Anna K was recruited by Al Jourgensen for the re-union tour of Revolting Cocks and in 2007 she joined the LA based Opiate for the masses. June 2004 had reports emerging that Axén had joined Snake River Conspiracy to replace the exiting Tobey Torres, but in early 2006 it was announced that Axén had quit SRC to focus on her solo work.
- Maria Sjöholm (lead vocals)
- Flavia Canel (guitar)
- Anna Kjellberg (bass)
- Martina Axén (drums, backing vocals)
- 1995 Serve The Shame [EP]
features tracks that will be used in the Horror Wrestling LP: "Serve The Shame" & "Unreal" (from the original edition), "Klotera" & "So I Will Burn (Alone)" (from the reissue expanded edition) and the 7 seconds long "To Be Continued..." (an acapella chorus used into the song "Someone") 
- 1996 Horror Wrestling [expanded in 1998]
The expanded edition collects most of the non-album songs around that time. But some where left out: "I Don't Mind (Clawfinger Remix)" by Jocke Skog, "Without Eyes" ("Crack The Liars Smile" b-side) and one of the two "Serve The Shame" acoustic versions (the other was collected but under the generic name of "acoustic version" while a single featured an "Unplugged" and a "Further Unplugged" version)
Album – Billboard (USA)
|1999||Freaks Of Nature||Heatseekers||25|
Singles – Billboard (USA)
|1997||I Don't Mind||Mainstream Rock||33|
|1998||Crack The Liar's Smile||Mainstream Rock||25|
|1999||Enter My Mind||Mainstream Rock||34|
|Simon Says||Mainstream Rock||24|
Careers of members
- Maria Sjöholm married Black Sabbath guitarist Tony Iommi, and is now retired from music.
- Martina Axén sang in Snake River Conspiracy and is now recording a solo album.
- Flavia Canel, is now Manager of Sonic Syndicate and is not playing guitar professionally anymore.
- Anna K played in Hanzel Und Gretyl, Revolting Cocks, Opiate for the Masses and is currently working on a Stockholm Sweden-based project involving members of Clawfinger and Skintrade.
- Metal Edge, July 2000
- "Drain discography". purjo.com. Retrieved 2017-09-07.
- IamTahko (2013-12-06), Drain STH - Without Eyes/To Be Continued., retrieved 2017-09-07
- "Drain S.T.H.* - Serve The Shame (Acoustic)". Discogs (in Italian). Retrieved 2017-09-07.
- "Allmusic review". Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- "Rolling Stone Review". Retrieved 2008-11-02.
- "Drain (3) - Enter My Mind". Discogs (in Italian). Retrieved 2017-09-07.
- "Various - Ozzfest Rock Pile Sampler". Discogs (in Italian). Retrieved 2017-09-07.
- bonedo: Interview Tony Iommi[permanent dead link]
- "Flavia's Official MySpace Page". Archived from the original on 2008-11-14. Retrieved 2008-09-10.